What's new

Merlin or stock firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok, I have decided to jump on board the 'Merlin' ship. Now going from Stock 386_45934), here are my steps to install, after reading several posts and guide in github. DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT? :

Pre-steps: 1. Back Config for Stock (3.0.0.4.386_45934) 2. Download Latest Stable Release of Aususwrt-Merlin Firmware (386.3_2) and unzip
Reboot Router and Laptop
After Router reboots, open UI
Update Firmware via Administration --> Firmware Upgrade --> Manual Upload: Use Merlin's Install File
After Upgrade is done, router will auto reboot
Once Lights are back to normal, open UI and check that I can see login page (do not login yet) --> Clear Browser Cache, close browser, and Disconnect WAN cord
Do a Hard Reset Routine:
1. Keep 'On/Off' Button to 'ON', Unplug Router, Wait 5 minutes +
2. Press and Hold WPS Button (back of router) and Plug In the router
3. When the Power Light comes ON: Keep Holding WPS Button
4. When Power Light turns OFF (10-30 secs), Release WPS Button. Router should reboot
5. After Router reboots, open UI (router.asus.com) and do a quick setup (give temp ssid and temp pw's) to be able to get to advanced settings.
Reset to Factory With 'Initialize all settings…' Option…press Restore Button
After Reboot: Open UI, follow Quick Set up steps and Configure Manually with same settings used in STOCK while Adjusting for additional settings per new features added (keep minimal for now - add in extras like jffs, terminal, etc. later)
Note: May need to re-download and install https cert file again
Reboot Again after final Config 'Apply' was done
After it reboots, power cycle for 5 mins + (reconnect WAN cord while it is OFF)
After it Boots up, open UI (via https this time) to ensure Internet Connects
Do Tests to ensure all works as expected

Just flash on top of Asuswrt, reset to factory defaults, configure manually. Don't waste your time. The process is very simple.

I've been using Merlin since my rt 16 , still using it on mY AC5300 . Just picked up an AX 92U that will be used for a while , if no Merlin FW is made for it I'll sell it and buy a model that is supported . b een 10 years and have yet tohave a FW problem

I'm pretty certain we are not getting Merlin on the AX92u.

If I had Merlin I'd probably use it to install diversion. However, there are still other solutions, you could build a home brew DNS and block ads that way.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!