What's new

merlin toolchain issue on Mac

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

viwrtuser

New Around Here
Hi:
I want to compiling merlin on Mac.
I set the environment by https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...ource-using-a-Debian-based-Linux-Distribution .

Code:
echo $PATH
/usr/local/opt/coreutils/libexec/gnubin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/opt/devkitpro/devkitARM/bin:/opt/devkitpro/devkitPPC/bin:/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc/bin

The toolchain does not work.
mipsel-uclibc-gcc ./hellowrold.c -o hello
-bash: /opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc/bin/mipsel-uclibc-gcc: cannot execute binary file.

I am runing macOS 10.12.1.
Sorry for my bad English.

Hi:
I set the environment by https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...ource-using-a-Debian-based-Linux-Distribution .

Code:
echo $PATH
/usr/local/opt/coreutils/libexec/gnubin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/opt/devkitpro/devkitARM/bin:/opt/devkitpro/devkitPPC/bin:/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc/bin

The toolchain does not work.
mipsel-uclibc-gcc ./hellowrold.c -o hello
-bash: /opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc/bin/mipsel-uclibc-gcc: cannot execute binary file.

I am runing macOS 10.12.1.
Sorry for my bad English.

The toolchain is for Linux, it won't work on MacOS.

You need a Linux environment, there's no way around it. Use a virtual machine.

I won't say it's impossible, but it would require much more effort to get working than it is worth...

VirtualBox is free, and grab the Ubuntu 14.04LTS here (the 32bit i386 version) - use that VM as a dedicated dev/build environment - One can get by with a smallish VM disk, I would suggest 40GB, but could go smaller...

rest is pretty straightforward with dependencies and all...

I won't say it's impossible, but it would require much more effort to get working than it is worth...

VirtualBox is free, and grab the Ubuntu 14.04LTS here (the 32bit i386 version) - use that VM as a dedicated dev/build environment - One can get by with a smallish VM disk, I would suggest 40GB, but could go smaller...

rest is pretty straightforward with dependencies and all...
Thank you for your help.
Now i use VM to build.
I stuck error on this
Code:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Desktop/lighttpd1.4$ ./configure CC=OUTPUTFROMGREP --prefix=/opt --host=arm-linux
configure: WARNING: if you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... arm-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for arm-linux-strip... no
checking for strip... strip
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking how to create a ustar tar archive... gnutar
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking for arm-linux-gcc... OUTPUTFROMGREP
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/home/ubuntu/Desktop/lighttpd1.4':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details
I use ubuntu 12.04 and I sure already installed depends
Code:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Desktop/lighttpd1.4$ echo $PATH
/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-linux/bin:/opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc/bin:/opt/brcm-arm/bin

More info:
Code:
 cc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.6.real
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.6/lto-wrapper
Target: i686-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.6/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --program-suffix=-4.6 --enable-shared --enable-linker-build-id --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.6 --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-nls --with-sysroot=/ --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes --enable-gnu-unique-object --enable-plugin --enable-objc-gc --enable-targets=all --disable-werror --with-arch-32=i686 --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=i686-linux-gnu --host=i686-linux-gnu --target=i686-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5)

the paths and perms are very specific - see the recipe you mentioned in first post...

14.04LTS does build with some work, I haven't tried 12.04....

RMerlin's GIT has the toolchain already built, and the recipe includes the deps - but I would defer there to folks that are more in tune there.

the paths and perms are very specific - see the recipe you mentioned in first post...

14.04LTS does build with some work, I haven't tried 12.04....

RMerlin's GIT has the toolchain already built, and the recipe includes the deps - but I would defer there to folks that are more in tune there.
I have tried 12.04 32bit and 16 64bit. stuck same error...