What's new

MerlinAU MerlinAU v1.2.5 - The Ultimate Firmware Auto-Updater (Now available in AMTM)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Default setting for CRON Job, but now under 1.01 I see this..
1706726222432.png

which didn't happen under 1.0

If I can install 1.0 on the router I can go through the process again, what happened on each node for you/us.

Default setting for CRON Job, but now under 1.01 I see this..
View attachment 56109
which didn't happen under 1.0

If I can install 1.0 on the router I can go through the process again, what happened on each node for you/us.

Perfect, that screenshot is expected behavior, sending you a DM with something to try now just to double check :)

Can this script please auto-update itself?

I think we can look into making it a configuration option under the advanced options :)

Can this script please auto-update itself?
You‘re pushing it.

In other news, Microft$oft announced that it pushed an update to all Boring 737 TexMax aircraft supervision, guidance and self-levelling systems. They say there were some loose-bolted ends that received user input performance and better market(ing) related rapporting features. The update is mandatory and will be performed at or just before rotate speed when departing.

You‘re pushing it.

In other news, Microft$oft announced that it pushed an update to all Boring 737 TexMax aircraft supervision, guidance and self-levelling systems. They say there were some loose-bolted ends that received user input performance and better market(ing) related rapporting features. The update is mandatory and will be performed at or just before rotate speed when departing.

The man has spoken, that's as far as we look into it 😉

Thanks for your hardwork on this.

What would be the case in the event if the firmware for whatever reason is corrupt (hopefully never)... would the script stop the automatic upgrade or possibly auto-downgrade to the previous working firmware or this would require a manual downgrade at this point?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
The decision is yours, not mine. You have to be very confident when adding an auto-update feature that it ends its task no matter what. And always successful, one way or another by either aborting or finishing the update.

@Adamm was brave enough, certainly his coding skills allowed him to add that feature years ago into Skynet. So far that appears to work flawless. Skynet is a one file script. amtm could easily do that too and Diversion with some extra checks as well. It‘s just that even the best make mistakes. And my overcautios mind tells me not to do it.

See my other comment above for how my thinking goes in explicite detail.

The decision is yours, not mine. You have to be very confident when adding an auto-update feature that it ends its task no matter what. And always successful, one way or another by either aborting or finishing the update.

@Adamm was brave enough, certainly his coding skills allowed him to add that feature years ago into Skynet. So far that appears to work flawless. Skynet is a one file script. amtm could easily do that too and Diversion with some extra checks as well. It‘s just that even the best make mistakes. And my overcautios mind tells me not to do it.

See my other comment above for how my thinking goes in explicite detail.

No I'm happy with the explained thinking ;) I honestly was on the fence on looking into it which is why if I was to consider it, it would of been a feature in the advanced options.
Opt -in instead of Opt-out kinda idea.

But honestly I don't expect to have to pump out many updates. (Hopefully).
Obviously if ASUS changes something I may have to look into it then.

But it's a new development so more feature requests and little tweaks more often now than usual I would say.
Once the waves pass it should slow down.

Thanks for your hardwork on this.

What would be the case in the event if the firmware for whatever reason is corrupt (hopefully never)... would the script stop the automatic upgrade or possibly auto-downgrade to the previous working firmware or this would require a manual downgrade at this point?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

As per the below screenshot in the script:

1706749965633.png

The logic for this part is if the firmware file is not matching the sha256 checksum file, it quits.
Thanks for all the good questions everyone!

Makes me think I should use the reserved post for once and actually make a Q/A with all these great questions :)

But what will auto-update the auto-update feature!?? :p

I guess? Me? Can someone auto update me?
Maybe I can auto-update myself, which auto updates the script which auto updates the routers, auto-updateseption

I guess? Me? Can someone auto update me?
Maybe I can auto-update myself, which auto updates the script which auto updates the routers, auto-updateseption
🤣

Version 1.0.2 released which fixes a typo I noticed, and an exit for the sha256 checksum verification.
Seems the waves are slowing down on my side, only had very little touchups to do with this one.

Tomorrow I'll probably start working on an FAQ, and hopefully have it ready before the next firmware release! :)

Hello SNB Community,

We're pleased to introduce an exciting new add-on for Asuswrt-Merlin: MerlinAU (Merlin AutoUpdate).
This tool is designed to streamline and automate firmware updates, making your router maintenance simpler and smoother than ever.

View attachment 56192
View attachment 56193

What's MerlinAU All About?

MerlinAU is a sophisticated and comprehensive script designed for Asus routers running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.
It's a collaborative effort by @ExtremeFiretop (myself) and @Martinski W. It offers an extensive range of features:

1. Automatic router model detection and Automatic update detection.
  2. Automatically install updates to your router with the latest firmware from the Asuswrt-Merlin repository.
  3. Logic to manage cron jobs for automated firmware update checks.
  4. Notifications for new MerlinAU updates and download the latest version of MerlinAU
  5. User configurable wait periods. Wait for a set duration after a new firmware release.
  6. Easy Enable/Disable: A menu switch for automatic update checking.
  7. Easy Uninstall: A routine to cleanly uninstall MerlinAU, removing all related files and settings.
  8. Logging and Cleanup: MerlinAU maintains logs for its operations and includes functions for cleanup tasks.
  9. Blinking LEDs: A visual indicator before starting the firmware update.
  10. Changelog verification check: Checks the changelogs for very obvious red flags and prompts for approval.
  11. Checks RAM usage: Functions to check and manage available memory for firmware update operations.
  12. Compatible with ROG and non-ROG routers; select ROG or Pure Build for ROG routers.
  13. Backup the new firmware version to the USB drive. (If USB is selected for storage)
  14. Email notifications if you configured email options in AMTM.
  15. Automatic backup with BACKUPMON if installed.
  16. Allow or Block Alpha/Beta upgrades to Production versions of the same cycle. (388.6.alpha1 or 388.6.beta1 --> 388.6.0)
  17. Automatically stops all Entware services before the flash if running.
  18. Automatically stops diversion if installed and running before the flash.
  19. Unmounts any physically attached storage via USB as the last step before the flash.

What update mechanism does MerlinAU use to Auto-Update?

MerlinAU actually implements a curl update mechanism. Curl can simulate almost all behaviors of the browser through get/post.
While hnd-write is unsafe and unpredictable, we instead use curl to simulate a browser for the router to upload the firmware through it's own GUI, which is the safest way. As discussed on the forums in length here.

Essentially the router logins to it's own WebUI like a person does, and uploads the firmware through the WebUI.
Doing this insures that the firmware checks done by the router when uploading a firmware via the webUI are not skipped, and the router can follow it's regular update process from there.

This has been tested extensively on the following devices since 388.4:
  • GT-AXE11000 (Tested)
  • RT-AX88U_PRO (Tested)
  • RT-AX88U (Tested)
  • RT-AC86U (Tested)
  • RT-AX86U (Tested)
  • XT12 (Tested)
All tests were successful on all subsequent firmware updates, the firmware upgraded correctly, and no issues with compatibility with other addons were identified.

How to Get MerlinAU

(Edit: Feburary 3rd 2024) - NOW AVAILABLE THROUGH AMTM!
Many thanks to @thelonelycoder for including us in the AMTM family!

MerlinAU is available for download on our GitHub repository here.

Installation and update information are provided on the same page.
PLEASE READ ALL THE DETAILS AND BACKUP BEFORE STARTING!

Post-Update Notes for MerlinAU Users

• After installing or updating MerlinAU, it's recommended to review the new settings and adjust them as per your preference.
  • If using a USB drive for firmware storage, ensure it's properly connected and mounted.
We're eager to hear your feedback and experiences with MerlinAU. Your suggestions and comments are invaluable in making MerlinAU even better!
MerlinAU is available under the GNU General Public License version 3 (GPL-3.0).

Thank you, and enjoy a hassle-free firmware updating experience with MerlinAU!
Certainly, this application was exactly what the AsusWRT firmware needed. Congratulations on the outstanding work and initiative. 🙌

Will this block updating from release to a new beta? Is that configurable? My core router I don’t want to update to a beta release but may be willing to on an edge AP.

Also, one other suggestion. It would be cool if after entering in a custom cron schedule it could read it back out in human readable language. e.g. “0 3 * * 0” = “At 03:00 AM, every Sunday“

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!