What's new

Mesh Optimization Schedule

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EastcoastJoe

New Around Here
Is there a way to schedule mesh optimization on a RT-AX86U?

I originally tried to bind all fixed location devices to their respective mesh nodes then ran into a limitation on the number of devices that could be bound...so I only bound critical devices. Then I tried adding all fixed location devices to the no roam list with no noticeable effect. Then I tried adjusting the threshold of the roaming assistant, but ran into intermittent connection issues with roaming devices. For some reason devices decide to move to far less then optimal mesh nodes and then stay there. The least disruptive way I found to fix this is to occasionally run mesh optimization, but it would be nice to automically do this in off hours. Binding nodes seems to work the best, so ideally if more devices could be bound that would be ideal... did this limitation ever change? May just need to try it again.

Is there a way to schedule mesh optimization on a RT-AX86U?

I originally tried to bind all fixed location devices to their respective mesh nodes then ran into a limitation on the number of devices that could be bound...so I only bound critical devices. Then I tried adding all fixed location devices to the no roam list with no noticeable effect. Then I tried adjusting the threshold of the roaming assistant, but ran into intermittent connection issues with roaming devices. For some reason devices decide to move to far less then optimal mesh nodes and then stay there. The least disruptive way I found to fix this is to occasionally run mesh optimization, but it would be nice to automically do this in off hours. Binding nodes seems to work the best, so ideally if more devices could be bound that would be ideal... did this limitation ever change? May just need to try it again.
First question is do you have too much WIFI? Sounds like a stupid question but if there are too many nodes and they are too close to each other you can have problems as you describe.
Next, WIFI or Ethernet backhaul? If Ethernet backhaul, mesh optimization will not work. And, the optimization is for the WIFI backhaul and not the clients. You probably are best to let the clients choose which node to connect to. It may also take a while, with the WIFI settings at default, for things to settle into a routine. With my simple router and node setup it can take two or three days for the clients to get happy. Sounds dumb but that's the way it works for me whether I am on Asus or Merrlin firmware.

1 router, 1 mesh node. Wireless backhaul. Optimization works great for clients. For whatever reason I think on occasion the router wifi signal gets disrupted, and then half the clients go to the mesh node and stay there even though they have very low signal. So about once a week or every other week I hit optimize, just looking to automate that.