What's new

News Might want to consider not using Chrome (or MS Edge)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
This popped up in my podcast feed... Techmeme Ride Home (great podcast by the way, 15 mins of the most relevant tech news for the day)

The podcast references the post below - apparently there was a fairly large chunk of Google Search API docs present on github, I'm not certain it was a leak, but needless to say, it's out there, and while the original has been pulled down, it's available via other means.

It's always been suspected that Chrome has fairly robust telemetry capabilities, and this pretty much confirms it - every click, every bookmark, google knows - and if you're logged into Chrome, well, it's directly traceable back to you...

I've taken your advice, and reverted back to IE 3.0! Thank you!

@Viktor Jaep - noticed in your .sig, google nest wifi pro's on the mesh - would be fun to chat privately to compare things on the Nest WiFi platform - feel free to PM me on that...

never used them , thanks

Getting back on track - Firefox is likely the better choice for cross platform - Linux, Mac, and Windows, and all support similar capabilities...
That's my primary browser. It's snappy and speedy. Happily, also most popular plugins work with it as well. I'm super happy with the switch to Firefox (on Windows and on my Android Pixel as well)

It’s unfortunate that Chrome/chromium based browsers have such a hold on almost every browser on the market these days as independent browsers make the switch to chromium.

I’m glad Firefox exists as competition, and not running off the same cliff like lemmings.

Doesn't matter what a browser is based on. It is who makes it and at what quality.

Edge is by far in the lead today (usability, security, responsiveness, and efficiency).

My daughter told me yesterday she has an issue on her Windows 10 PC. I wonder if it is from her using chrome and not rebooting very often to get chrome updates? I don't use Chrome any more after I was hacked through some sounds files years ago. I use edge now only.

I’m glad Firefox exists as competition, and not running off the same cliff like lemmings.

Firefox has a 3% marketshare which is still shrinking. If you don't already donate to mozilla annually, you should start.

Firefox has a 3% marketshare which is still shrinking. If you don't already donate to mozilla annually, you should start.

Sad reality from non profit organizations. Company’s like Google can throw cash at the problem, but that leads to reduced privacy where the consumer is the product ultimately. Mozilla Firefox is open source so I doubt it will vanish as there are plenty of projects that dive deep in the red. But obviously money matters for developers who need to be paid.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!