What's new

Mixed network suggestion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Z

Zippy

Ive seen a bunch of posts with similar questions but my situation is slightly different with the macs thrown into the equation. My current router a dlink 615 is just not holding up on the wireless side. So I’m looking to upgrade with a $200 budget I really want the best home router I can get. I was thinking about getting the wrt600N because the 610 seems to have some issues. My other option is to just go with the Dir-655 or possibly even just add the 655 to my current set up. Which of these setups is best or is there an ever better option for me? Ive got roadrunner cable and the network consists of:
1 mac desktop used for surfing and streaming (N capable) – wireless
1 PS3 – used for streaming video - Wireless
1 PC desktop used for heavy gaming and torenting - wired
1 Older mac laptop (G) – Wireless

I greatly appreciate the input.

Ive seen a bunch of posts with similar questions but my situation is slightly different with the macs thrown into the equation. My current router a dlink 615 is just not holding up on the wireless side. So I’m looking to upgrade with a $200 budget I really want the best home router I can get. I was thinking about getting the wrt600N because the 610 seems to have some issues. My other option is to just go with the Dir-655 or possibly even just add the 655 to my current set up. Which of these setups is best or is there an ever better option for me? Ive got roadrunner cable and the network consists of:
1 mac desktop used for surfing and streaming (N capable) – wireless
1 PS3 – used for streaming video - Wireless
1 PC desktop used for heavy gaming and torenting - wired
1 Older mac laptop (G) – Wireless

I greatly appreciate the input.

What's the hardware version and firmware version on your DIR-615?
Exactly what type of issues you're having with it?

I too had purchased DIR-615 A1 /1.00 first, I had purchased it since it had a Marvel SOHO 500MHz 32MB of RAM and 8MB Flash. At first Torrent downloading, wired LAN/WAN and Wireless was strong rock solid. Then all of a sudden wireless and wired connection drops on WAN and LAN. Upgrading the firmware didn't solve the issues. DLINK told me to return the unit. So I decided to get the DIR-655 A3/1.10 passing over the DIR-625 for it.

Today DIR-655 A3/1.11 is what I use, everyone else upgraded the firmware to 1.20, 1.21, 1.22 and none of beta versions are out to fix the DNS Replay issue and other issues. I have stayed with 1.11 as my torrent download drop when I upgraded the firmware beyond 1.11.

Now there are issues with Wireless N using 20/40Hz mode and if you use the 20Hz it's fine, but you'll loose about 60Mbs. I can't see going this route. I don't like the way DIR-655 works with Wireless G/N mix to me it's weak combination.

I've tried other brands Buffalo for N was bad experience, but their G High Power Turbo G is stable. Trendnet has number of Wireless N Routers the cheapest one is based on DIR-615 C1/3.01 because it uses the same hardware inside. 400MHz CPU, 32MB of RAM 4MB of Flash. Trendnet TEW-652BRP cost $24.99 on Newegg. Downloading a mp3 file or a couple of them over wireless N at 150M (real-time 130M reported in Trendent) was really quick for Wireless N but that's in 20/40Hz mode. It would be a lot less in 20Hz mode.

Buddy and business partner uses the the two you had mention in your post from Linksys but he has wireless issues with LAN and WAN. He also has the Netgear Gig N Wireless but that had to go back to Netgear to get fixed as it had gone DOA on him.

The DIR-825 also has DNS Relay issue also.

Ive seen a bunch of posts with similar questions but my situation is slightly different with the macs thrown into the equation. My current router a dlink 615 is just not holding up on the wireless side.
What do you mean by that? Not enough range? Throughput? Both? What are you trying to do?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!