What's new

Modem/WiFi router for 10 Mbps ADSL connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AndrzejPl

New Around Here
First, I just wanted to say hello, because I just joined this site :)

Now to the meritum. I'm customer of the monopolist Orange (no other ISP around my location, apart from local bad wireless network). I'm on 10 Mbps download 0,7 Mbps upload ADSL. The router/modem combo I been given by my ISP (Orange Livebox) is well, bad. It drops my connection often and has poor WiFi range.

As for other devices connected to the network - I've the two cablebox in multiroom connected to router via Netgear WNCE2001 (those are the only one APs that those boxes see), TV and BluRay (both a/b/g/n capable). I use my network for gaming, streaming Spotify, browsing web and sometimes use the remote CMS to work from home. I'd also like to use the router as NAS by adding external HDD to it and a printer, so I'd be able to print from anywhere.

I live in two floor semidetached house (110 square meter). Router is based on 1st floor.

First question: Do I need, with such devices and such network speed AC-capable router, or I won't be able to use the speed?

Second question: Would you recommend modem/router device or separate modem with a router?

Third, Do you think that with my connection speed DSL-N66U is overkill, and I could safely step down to N56U? Especially as 56U is about 300 zlotych ($100) cheaper than N66U.

Fourth: Which WiFi USB card would you recommend for my PC (I like gaming, and internet cable is based in different room than PC, and moving it would require serious recabling, which I'd like to avoid). Was either thinking of USBN53 (if ac router is an overkill) or that Edimax ac card, if AC would be good idea.

Ill make it simple.

No idea which adsl modem you should use, havent had adsl in ages. If your current modem works, then use it. Other wise google latest adsl modem reviews.

N56 or N66 will get the job done just fine. Your bottleneck is your ISP.

Do you need AC router? If your devices support it, but then again, if you stream anything from internet, your 10Mbps service is still your bottleneck.

Not sure what usb wifi adapter you should use, i never liked them. In the past they gave lag spikes and made games unplayable. So i personally avoid them. But this was years ago, so im sure technology got better and most of the issues have been resolved.
Look at latest Netgear, Asus or Linksys usb adapters if you must have one. Then find reviews for them.

Google asus usb n53 lag spikes, and see if there are still issues and if there are solutions.

Otherwise, get a pci/pcie wifi card. Linksys or TP-Link.

Last edited:

Now to the meritum. I'm customer of the monopolist Orange (no other ISP around my location, apart from local bad wireless network). I'm on 10 Mbps download 0,7 Mbps upload ADSL. The router/modem combo I been given by my ISP (Orange Livebox) is well, bad. It drops my connection often and has poor WiFi range.

As for other devices connected to the network - I've the two cablebox in multiroom connected to router via Netgear WNCE2001 (those are the only one APs that those boxes see), TV and BluRay (both a/b/g/n capable). I use my network for gaming, streaming Spotify, browsing web and sometimes use the remote CMS to work from home. I'd also like to use the router as NAS by adding external HDD to it and a printer, so I'd be able to print from anywhere.

I live in two floor semidetached house (110 square meter). Router is based on 1st floor.

First question: Do I need, with such devices and such network speed AC-capable router, or I won't be able to use the speed?
I recommend not getting an 11ac WiFi router. Not needed. If your client devices are not 11ac capable, it makes little/no sense.
Second question: Would you recommend modem/router device or separate modem with a router?
I recommend getting from your ISP a modem-only. Choose and change your own WiFi router and LAN gear as you wish.

Third, Do you think that with my connection speed DSL-N66U is overkill, and I could safely step down to N56U? Especially as 56U is about 300 zlotych ($100) cheaper than N66U.
Yes. The only need for expensive high speed WiFi is for bulk data transfers among PCs in your LAN - and if that is a lot of data, it should be done with wired, not WiFi PCs or a NAS.

Fourth: Which WiFi USB card would you recommend for my PC (I like gaming, and internet cable is based in different room than PC, and moving it would require serious recabling, which I'd like to avoid). Was either thinking of USBN53 (if ac router is an overkill) or that Edimax ac card, if AC would be good idea.
I recommend NOT getting a "card" for WiFi for a PC. Try very hard to avoid WiFi on a desktop PC- use cat5 or IP on power line. If you MUST use WiFi on a desktop, I suggest using a WiFi client bridge (game adaptor) that connectos to your PC's ethernet port. Place this bridge device optionally in terms of antenna location. The bridge-to-PC connection is cat5 so you have lots of flexibility.

The latest firmware from Asus for the RT-N66U has really good range. Plus the latest firmware from Merlin for that router (EM build) has really good range too. So you can't go wrong with the RT-N66u, IMO. It's a very popular router, so I don't expect asus to abandon it anytime soon. My home is 3 levels and approx. 3800 sq. feet. Aforementioned firmwares give a nice 10-40 foot perimeter around my home. My RT-N66U is not located in an ideal spot, so I suspect it would give a much greater perimeter if I relocated it.

I use linksys dual band AE2500 USB adapters. They are 2x2:2 300 Mbps. And they are dirt cheap. They work flawlessly with asus firmware and Merlin firmware.

Thanks guys, since my only ac device is my z1 smartphone, and I don't use it for something more complicated than the HD Youtube, so I'll skip the ac part.

Since I read that the livebox router/modem combo has lots of problems, when you bridge it, to work just as modem, I'll just go with Asus DSL-N56U. Also will do some rewiring, to get it wired to PC.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!