What's new

Modest range ac AP without bells and whistles?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PsychBiller

New Around Here
I am looking for a wireless access point that can support 802.11ac speeds to support new phones and laptops. I don't need all the extra router features (USB, cloud access, super long range, etc.). Having a couple of Gigabit ports and a guest SSID would be good. That's about it.

My current access point (a repurposed g class router) sits on an open ledge in the kitchen that places it in the center of the house. There is a second story above the kitchen and a basement below, and coverage is just fine. I've got a power outlet AND an Ethernet jack right there in the kitchen.

Now we have new phones and laptops that are ac speed, and FIOS service has been upgraded to 75/75. I'm just trying to cover the house at ac speed, not the yard.

The main router is the Verizon-supplied Actiontec in the basement network/phone closet. All wired clients, including the access point in the kitchen, go to a 16 port switch connected to the Actiontec.

I've looked some true access points, but they seem to be targeted at enterprise installations and PoE, not to mention the sky high cost.

Thanks for your input!

Hi PB. You can go about this a couple ways: the first would be to re-purpose an all-in-one wireless router to run only as an AP (ie. turn off DHCP, all routing, firewalling, etc.); the second would be just to use a purpose-built product. Many people here would tell you to go the first route, with something like an R7000 or AC68U. "Bang for your buck" and all that, and/or the fact that most solid gigabit AC APs that are at least as pricey, if not more so (your observation is correct).

That said, I usually go the second route, provided it's mid-grade gear or better. I'm talking upper-end D-Link DAPs, most EnGenius models, Ubiquiti stuff, or better. Certainly more expensive, but you're investing in not having to be a beta-tester for most features, or in having to monkey with third-party firmware (and be void of warranty whilst doing so). For my clients especially, I have little to no patience for stuff that doesn't function out-of-the-box (initial firmware updates not withstanding, of course). The way I see it, the opportunity cost alone of having to monkey around with flaky stuff more than covers the difference in just purchasing the better unit to begin with.

You're needs and mileage may vary, though, so to each their own. :)

Last edited:
Trip,

I am leaning more toward to the dedicated AP unit vs. repurposing a wireless router since I have the luxury of available power and wired Ethernet at the desired location.

Forgive me for sounding like a noob, which I am when it comes to APs but not PCs in general (35 years), but do you have any particular recommendations in the general lines you mentioned? If you'd prefer to PM me, that's fine.

I appreciate your advice.

No problem. For non-enterprise standalone my go-to is the EnGenius ECB1750. Perhaps a D-Link DAP-2695 or Edimax WAP1750 for comparison's sake, but I don't have enough experience with either to recommend them outright. I'd stay away from Amped or lower-end D-Link stuff -- just my gut going with the feedback I've gather thus far. Perhaps UniFi AC wifi if you want to do 2 or more APs in a seamless wifi mesh for coverage or number of clients. Beyond there, entry-level enterprise stuff will start at around $750 per AP, but as you noted it's probably overkill for most SOHO scenarios. GL!

Last edited:
Look at the Netgear EX6200. It is sold as a repeater but has an AP mode that is easily switched on. I have used the device for a while and can say the range and power of the unit is quite good.

Also all of the Rxxxx routers (R7000, R6300, etc) have an AP mode too. This is a toggle in the setup that again is very straight forward and works well. The EX6200 will be the more cost effective solution though.

Bob Silver
Netgear

Look at the Netgear EX6200. It is sold as a repeater but has an AP mode that is easily switched on. I have used the device for a while and can say the range and power of the unit is quite good.

Also all of the Rxxxx routers (R7000, R6300, etc) have an AP mode too. This is a toggle in the setup that again is very straight forward and works well. The EX6200 will be the more cost effective solution though.

Bob Silver
Netgear

I purchased exactly this extender based on your recommendation. How do I enable this AP mode as I do not see this option anywhere? Everything indicates that this only works as an extender. I just want to run a cable to it and have that broadcast my previously set SSID for access. No DHCP on it, No bridging to the wifi being broadcasted by my other routers / APs.

Yea, netgear support confirmed this last night. What a waste of time and money. So much for what looked to be a Netgear employee's recommendation.

Yea, netgear support confirmed this last night. What a waste of time and money. So much for what looked to be a Netgear employee's recommendation.
May I suggest the RT-ac56u, with RMerlin firmware, in repeater or AP mode ?

Attachments

• RepeaterMode3.jpg
    RepeaterMode3.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 323
if you want a router without usb and all that extra software stuff, just pure good routing than i would suggest unifi and mikrotik routerboards. Some routerboards have upgrade-able parts like ram, mini PCIe, antennas, etc depending on what model you get. I have seen some that have SFP, wifi, miniPCIe, usb on the same board but without the extra software stuff, just the same routerOS that all their devices come with. SFP lets you skip modems if your internet medium has an SFP module such as GPON or fibre optics. miniPCIe lets you just upgrade wifi to a new standard instead of just buying an entire new device.

I find some routerboards cheaper than consumer ones for the useful features they bring that you would actually use. Also routerOS lets you trim it via packages. If you dont want a feature you can disable/uninstall a package whereas you can install packages if you want to add a software feature.

[...]

I find some routerboards cheaper than consumer ones for the useful features they bring that you would actually use. Also routerOS lets you trim it via packages. If you dont want a feature you can disable/uninstall a package whereas you can install packages if you want to add a software feature.

Please provide some examples and if possible a few links.

Thanks.

GH

if you want a router without usb and all that extra software stuff, just pure good routing than i would suggest unifi and mikrotik routerboards. Some routerboards have upgrade-able parts like ram, mini PCIe, antennas, etc depending on what model you get. I have seen some that have SFP, wifi, miniPCIe, usb on the same board but without the extra software stuff, just the same routerOS that all their devices come with. SFP lets you skip modems if your internet medium has an SFP module such as GPON or fibre optics. miniPCIe lets you just upgrade wifi to a new standard instead of just buying an entire new device.

C'mon, man. Seriously?? Really? The OP asks for info about "modest" range AP's (i.e., ones that are within FCC guidelines, are easy to operate for a consumer and are low cost), and specifically says he isn't interested in "enterprise" solutions because of the "sky high cost", and you once again bring up Mikrotik? Do you work for them or something? Seriously, what part of "modest" range, in terms of cost and ease of use didn't you get? Microtiks are sold in the U.S. only by distributors who cater to professional installers for enterprise solutions, and mostly for outdoor higher-powered commercial installations, i.e., point to point stuff. I assume, but do not know, whether the situation is the same in the EU. But really, Microtik again? Routerboard OS? I'm sure it is terrific and highly configurable and can out-route the crap out of any consumer AP device selling for hundreds of dollars less, but you do understand who your audience is here, no? I mean, read the guy's questions....he's not looking for an enterprise-level solution.

Last edited:
Edimax br-6478ac exactly fits

looking for a wireless access point...a couple of Gigabit ports and a guest SSID would be good...I've looked ...sky high cost.

EdiMax BR-6478ac. Decent range, $62 dollars.

As an access point will effortlessly hook up to your primary Internet router EITHER by wire, or wirelessly ("WISP" capable).

Has the single guest network in each band that you want. Low power, units run way cooler than the fancier Asus iron that I also enjoy fiddling with.

You could cover a football stadium with just a bunch of these minimalist building blocks. Some set up as primary routers, others set up as Ethernet bridges to get cabled devices onto your WiFi network, others in access point mode as in your case.

Add a low end Synology or Zyxel NAS to your LAN some day if the mood strikes you. Interestingly should you add a NAS, your total investment in both a BR-6478ac AND the NAS will be near the cost of far-less-capable-simple-file-sharer WiFi AC routers, with their mediocre USB ports.

Edimax also makes $20-$25 dollar single-stream USB client adapters in a couple of sizes (small and has-big-antenna models) that really do hook up to the EdiMax access point at 433 megahertz on the 5ghz bands. EW-7811DAC, EW-7811UTC. To get all the way to 833mhz over USB consider a EW-7822UAC but now you're talking $30 dollars.

This is a can't-fail recommendation. The Edimax talks great to Intel Centrino wireless cards in laptops. Roku boxes good, 2.4 or 5ghz. Low end Belkin 2.4 ghz USB adapters, check. Motorola and cheap Alcatel smartphones (for Voice Over IP mode), check. iPad 3 on 2.4 or 5ghz, check.

The WiFi range of the access point in either band can't be criticized, i.e. it fits your description of wanting decent range without being as long range as the best AC routers. If you're skeptical check out reviews of the '6478ac online.

$62 dollar EdiMax router/access point/ethernet bridge: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=br-6478ac&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Zyxel 320 NAS future 2-bay option $116:
http://www.newegg.com/Desktop-NAS/SubCategory/ID-124/Page-2?Order=PRICE

or Synology DS115j super low end 1-bay NAS $130+ dollars:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108181

Last edited:
Since you dont want to search i will provide the link. http://routerboard.com/ , select routerboards, select new. They have a better MIPS at 720Mhz and the cheapest being $72 for integrated AC wireless with 2 chains and $99 for the same thing but with mini PCIe, SFP and more ports. Sure you can factor in the case and power adaptor to get it to $120 for the more expansive one. This is their indoor one (can be used outdoor with the right case and stuff).

If you've read recent posts you'll see that 1W is within the limits of 5 Ghz set by rules. I have read what the OP asked and the fact is mikrotik wireless is low cost as well just as ubiquiti has low cost wifi too. If the FCC does not allow most channels in 5 Ghz than you wont be able to use 1W. just because the transmission power is 1W doesnt mean you have to use the full transmission strength.

I dont work for mikrotik but i hate people dishing a brand without proper facts. Everything i see directed against mikrotik is always with their very old products that are more than 5 years old.

Is $72 sky high cost for a wireless AP with x2 AC, a fast CPU , 128MB of ram and POE in?
http://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/1142UC14_GRANT-141030105549.pdf
Link to mikrotik's FCC declaration for their new routerboards with integrated wireless.
Now stop thinking that my suggestion is inappropriate. I dont suggest mikrotik in every thread, only where i think they can come in handy.

If you want to see about routerOS features go to demo.mt.lv, navigate to system -> packages.
Really jegesq what do you have against them?

Last edited:
Since you dont want to search i will provide the link. http://routerboard.com/ , select routerboards, select new. They have a better MIPS at 720Mhz and the cheapest being $72 for integrated AC wireless with 2 chains and $99 for the same thing but with mini PCIe, SFP and more ports. Sure you can factor in the case and power adaptor to get it to $120 for the more expansive one. This is their indoor one (can be used outdoor with the right case and stuff).[...]
Who are you talking to?

Last edited:
doubt the original poster wants single-band bare boards

http://routerboard.com/ , select routerboards, select new. They have a better MIPS at 720Mhz and the cheapest being $72 for integrated AC wireless with 2 chains...Is $72 sky high cost for a wireless AP with x2 AC, a fast CPU , 128MB of ram and POE in?
http://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/1142UC14_GRANT-141030105549.pdf
Now stop thinking that my suggestion is inappropriate. I dont suggest mikrotik in every thread, only where i think they can come in handy...Really jegesq what do you have against them?

Well the term "inappropriate" is meaningless but "ignoring what the original poster probably wants" applies here. System Error Message, why mention a bare-board supplier and (misleading because bare) board prices to someone who obviously doesn't want to fool around with building their own router from a kit of parts. Odd also to mention POE Power Over Ethernet on the Mikrotik stuff, when the original poster specifically said they were not interested in it. You spend time describing Mikrotik's max transmit power, even though the original poster went out of their way to say they don't care about extreme range.

Also the Mikrotik board you mentioned doesn't look like it's even dual 5/2.4ghz band. People usually want 2.4ghz capability in 2015 in their homes, even if they have some 5ghz clients. And the Mikrotik stuff you mention is just a professional's board component, it's not a finished router no matter how great it might be. There is no comparison between the convenience of plugging in, say, an Edimax router out-of-the-box and navigating (even wirelessly) to "Edimax.Setup" in your browser, and the hurdles to assembling a Mikrotik kit.

And forget about the single-band Mikrotik finished hardware being anywhere near as cheap as the $62 dollar cost of a DUAL band Edimax BR-6478ac, relevant because the original poster mentions cost as a factor.

Last edited:
The routerboard i mentioned has 2.4Ghz. Google the chip it uses. OpenWRT wiki has more information on that chip. POE is also optional and the board supports a common PSU such as those used with desktop external hard drives

Its not difficult to add a routerboard to its enclosure, you only need a screwdriver.

The edimax is a good suggestion but i did suggest something for less than $100. Routerboards are actually quite reliable. How often do you reboot your consumer wireless router/AP? I also noticed that routerboards reboot themselves if they hang or crash but you can tell by looking at uptime and logs.

Quite a lively discussion I generated here, me being the "original poster". Any recommendation would indeed have to meet FCC B regulations. I am not interested in alternative firmware rigs. They are all well and good, and I've fooled with some, but this just isn't the time to be doing that. No bare boards. I need out-of-the-box functionality and reliability. Someone recommended an AP with SIX antennas! Good heavens, I'm not trying cover a half acre lot. People walk right by the location where the AP sits. I'm not too keen on being bombarded with whatever juice six antennas puts out every time I walk into my own kitchen. This is one of those "don't overthink it" kind of installations.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!