What's new

Monitoring network traffic for Grafana without SNMP devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xaan

Occasional Visitor
I've recently setup a VM to run Graphite/Carbon/Grafana and I'd like to see be able to see network traffic in/out from the internet, but seem to be limited by the hardware that I currently have.

Modem: Hitron CG3
- Bridging to RT-AC66U and TP Link Deco M5. Can't enable SNMP for snmpwalk
Router 1: RT-AC66U

- DHCP for LAN devices. Wireless is broken and has been disabled. Possible to enable SNMP with Merlin, but haven't done so yet since it's only tracking LAN and not WLAN traffic
Router 2: TP-Link Deco 3 pack (1 router, 2 AP)
- DHCP for WLAN devices. The router is connected to the modem, and then the other two APs are on the other side of a powerline adapter (so much signal pollution in my apartment that ethernet backhaul over powerline gives a stronger, faster connection at the other end of the unit). Can't enable SNMP

If I connect the Deco system through the AC66U instead of the modem it runs the wireless DHCP on a different subnet and then I lose connectivity between wireless and LAN devices and still can't track the wireless traffic on the Decos anyway. If I turn the AC66U wireless back on and flip the Decos over to AP mode, then I can see all of the traffic but the wireless constantly drops.

upload_2018-12-2_12-38-14.png

So, as it is I can't figure out how I can monitor WAN traffic without adding or changing devices since the modem is the chokepoint and I can't track it there.

Last edited:
Router 1 may not be reporting WAN stats but are you sure that affects snmpd?

Connecting via one router and sorting out why you're having dhcp issues/conflicts is probably the first step.

Sorry not much help I know [emoji19]

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Bit of confusion here I think.

Not having DHCP conflicts actually, they are both handling different ranges. The WAN traffic issue is that the Deco sends traffic direct to the modem rather through the only SNMP capable device, the AC66U, so I won't be able to see any of that traffic.

Last edited:
I think a lot about snmp is public vs. private entities, and the version...

sudo snmpwalk -c public -v1 <hostname>

Assumes that the namespace is public - might not be.

Ok gotcha. I guess my main point was consolidating the routing, which is achievable with router 1 running merlin but I'd be more inclined to use something that easily allows the switch to be reconfigured like openwrt, if it's supported.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!