What's new

more on the TP-LINK 700N

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard dynes

New Around Here
After several searches I found the info below from an obvious techie ... He initially had the same problem I did, I don't feel quite as bad at this point.
=================================================
TP-Link setup, the real way

I couldn't really be bothered to work my way through the web links about WDS that I had found yesterday, so today I put the other router where I wanted it, at teevee, and used the powerline Ethernet connection to access it. As I suspected, the stupid installation instructions aren't just plain wrong some of the time, they're much more complicated than the real thing. To configure a TP-Link TL-WR841N 802.11n wireless router, do this:

1. Ensure that you have an address in the 192.168.0.0/24 address range.
2. Connect to one of the LAN connectors.
3. Access http://192.168.0.1/ with a browser.
4. Log in as admin, password admin. This information is also written on the underside of the router.
5. Select Quick Start and follow the prompts.

And that's it! No long, strange and easily misspelt names, no disruption of your network topography, no changes in your Microsoft IP settings. Of course, there are many other things you can do, notably disable DHCP, but with this you can do everything that the SimplisticEasy Setup does.
We did some further investigation of http://tplinklogin.net/ on IRC today, and came to the surprising discovery that the domain doesn't even belong to TP-Link!

The whois information shows:
** *Domain Name: TPLINKLOGIN.NET 

** *Registrant: 
** * * *Above.com Domain Privacy 
** * * *8 East concourse 
** * * *Beaumaris 
** * * *VIC 
** * * *AU 
** * * *tplinklogin.net@privacy.above.com 
** * * *Tel. +61.390057904

Now doubtless this is a domain name squatter, but what a stupid thing for TP-Link to do: require specific topology for configuration, use a name instead of a (shorter) IP address for the device, and then not even own the domain! I'm amazed.
==================================================

A

I'll be honest with you.

This is a great forum with many knowledgable and wacky people who are willing to help. But, you need to take the iniatiative and learn the basics how to use and set up your own products, equipment. When you reach basic level 2, then we can help you far better.
Spoon feeding is time and energy consuming, so if you not willing to teach your self, then in my honest and gentles opinion, it would be best if you hire someone to set it up for you.

And the wall of communication texts that you have received, is unnecessary as we don't, can't speak on behalf of such companies. I personally don't care who said what in your emails.

Take the initiative to learn or hire somebody to do it for you.

Google and YouTube are your friends.

I agree very much. That and...if you actually read the user manual itself, not just the quick start guide, it tells you to point your browser at 192.168.0.1 as an alternative to the plain text URL. It is kind of right there, pretty early on.

I bow to the "Great and Powerful OZ" & companion.

Just this morning, before I read the above posts, I purchased three books online, all three Dummie level on networking, wireless, and wifi. This because I obviously am way below you two and it is beneath you to sink to the level of a novice.

I'd say more but .....

Locking thread

Richard,

People have responded respectfully to your posts. Individual walk-throughs are very time consuming and depend basically on the kindness of strangers.

Enough has been said on this topic. Please don't open another thread about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!