What's new

Move wireless router out of wiring closet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Escape

New Around Here
I've got what I would imagine is, for the most part, a fairly typical network setup.
The house is wired for ethernet and there's a panel in the closet of the master bedroom to where all the Ethernet jacks in the house lead. There I've got a cable modem, which leads to a wireless router. Into the lan ports of the wireless router are plugged the connections to the rest of the rooms in the house. Downstairs in the living room ( the master bedroom is upstairs ) I have a second wireless router connected ( to the jack that leads to the wiring closet that I described upstairs). This second router has dhcp disabled and is only used to augment the wireless signal as the signal from the router upstairs does not reach downstairs.

Now this works fine right now. it's all run on wrt54g routers updated with dd-wrt.
What I would like to do is upgrade to 80211n gigabit wired/wireless setup. The thing is, I'd rather do it with one wireless router: less cost, less config, less power, and less signal where it doesn't need to be (master bedroom). I don't really need two wireless routers if I can just move the one wireless router out of the wiring closet and to a central location in the house (the study).

None of the rooms have more than one ethernet port on the jacks in them. So my question is, how do I move the wireless router out of the wiring closet and to the study? Normally if there were two ports on the jacks in the study I could just run from the cable modem to the study jack port #1, which would have the router plugged into it (via wan port) then out from the router into study jack port #2, back to the wiring closet and into a hub, and out from the hub to all the rest of the rooms via the connections on the panel.

Whats the alternative? Can I put a switch after the modem and move the wireless router to another room? I haven't worked with a switch before so I'm not sure if it would be smart enough to be situated in front of a router.

I'm trying to avoid having to put a router in the wiring closet. Wired or not. But if that's what I need to do, then so be it. I thought I would ask around before making any purchases.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Best,
Escape

Ps. I'm looking at the Cisco/Linksys E3000 dual n gigabit wireless router. Any feedback on that choice as well would be appreciated. I plan to move video around the house.

Last edited:
Few options:
1. Run another ethernet cable up to closet from the study(1 cable for WAN, 1 for LAN) then you need an switch in the closet to plug the rest of the room cables into.

2. Split the ethernet data pairs up on the cable going to the study(1 pair for WAN, 1 for LAN) and would still need the switch in the closet to plug the rooms into. benefit: not having to run another cable, but lose any chance of gigabit speeds because gigabit requires all pairs for data.

3. (Best) Put the modem in the study if possible, cable from study to closet plugs into a switch in the closet to plug in the rooms. benefit: retain gigabit speeds as long as the switch is also gigabit and no need to run more cables.

4. I know I said a few.. but what I would do is use the current setup, only replace the router in the closet with your gigabit one. No need to purchase an gigabit switch(might as well buy another gig-router) and leave the wrt access point downstairs for wireless. Wireless N isn't going to perform anywhere near gigabit anyway. However, if wireless N or bust, then just buy a cheap wireless N router with 10/100 ports as your access point because wireless N throughput isn't going to saturate available transfer rates. I use the TEW-652BRP which costs like $30 and supports dd-wrt.

5. Who wired the house may I ask? It's only good practice to run two cables to each room for redundancy or configuration options like you want.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!