What's new

Multi-SSID with Multi-Schedule...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Roveer

Occasional Visitor
I've been on a quest for the ultimate WIFI AP but have not been able to find a model that fits my needs.

I'm looking for an AP that can do the following (harder than it seems)

1. Multiple SSID's (on the same network, not Vlan)
2. Schedule that would allow me to disable a certain SSID while leaving the others untouched.

So here's the thinking behind what I'm trying to do.

In my house I have devices that need WIFI all the time (WIFI thermostats as an example, my laptop, my ipad). I also have kids that won't stop consuming the internet at bedtime unless I turn off the WIFI.

If I had an AP that would allow me to set up an SSID for the Kids and friends and an SSID that would be for Tstats and my stuff and the ability to kill the first SSID on a schedule that would give me what I want.

In all of the multi-ssid scheduling AP's that I've found it seems that the schedule just turns the wireless radio off for all SSID's that's not what I want.

Right now I'm solving the problem by having 2 AP's one for the kids with the schedule and one for the tstats and my stuff. It works, but I'm maintaining 2 pieces of equipment and while I've got the channels separated (one on channel 1 the other on channel 11) I always worry that they might be stepping on each other.

Any ideas on products that would do such a thing or am I as close as I'm going to get with 2 AP's?

Roveer

Probably not what you're looking for but I have an Asus RT-N66U that cost about $110 new. Even though it's a wireless router it can be configured as an access point (whatever that is / whatever the difference is).

It supports up to 8 SSIDs, 6 of which can be set to turn on and off automatically. I haven't used that feature myself but it's on the (factory stock) configuration page. It's simply "click boxes" that you set once and, supposedly, the router will turn on and off SSIDs as per your instructions.

Regarding "VLANs" (whatever those are : ) I think I know what you're after. There's also radio buttons that let you choose whether you want that SSID to be a part of your network or isolated from your network (Internet access only).

Last edited:
To follow-up on my original post. I had just purchased an engenius ECB1750 for our office. Turns out this one has the ability to schedule on/off for individual SSID's. That was a surprise.

Roveer

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!