What's new

multiple USB

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anthr4x

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,
My question will be can we make the 2nd USB to be use for multiple USB HDD connected to the router?

Merlin no fix around?

No, they're not supported.

In what way is it not supported?

I'm not using two disks now, but I tried it earlier and as far as I remember it worked fine to connect two USB disks to my RT-AC66U, they mount nice as /mnt/<label> and I think it also worked as expected in the disk sharing page (showing up as two disks and possible to set permissions on both disks).

I even tried it using an USB hub (with a 3G modem connected to one of the ports and a HUB with two USB disks to the other port) and from what I remember it worked as expected. Also the USB disks both had two partitions, so I had in total four different partitions mounted under /mnt.

I tested it because I read it was not officially supported.

The OS will mount the partitions, but the UI can only display two devices, and I suspect there are places in the firmware where only sda and sdb are specifically managed.

Also last time someone asked about USB hubs, Asus replied they weren't supported. So it might partly work, but I wouldn't rely on that to be 100% working as expected.

My guess is that the USB hub support is in the kernel and it would probably not be easy to remove it while maintaining the support for 3G modems (because if I recall right at least my 3G modem is identified as a hub with 2 devices connected, this is probably because the modem includes a slot for a micro-SD card).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!