What's new

Multiple WRE54G Extenders

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bill

New Around Here
I have set up three extenders to cover dead areas around my home. I used exactly the same setup for each extender. This works well, however, on occasion one or more will drop off-line. If I unplug and replug, it comes back on line.
Should I be using the same IP for all, 192.168.1.222 or would they be more stable if each had it's own IP address? I am not using them in a chain, simply want each to operate in it's own area as if I only had one installed.
Thanks,
Bill

Thanks for the response. If I do that, will the computer adaptor automatically find the extender as I move from room to room or will I have to reconnect as I enter the area of each?

The problem with extenders is that you have no control over which one a client attaches to. There is no guarantee that the client is moving to the repeater that has the stronger signal.

It all depends on the client. Most will stay connected to the first AP they associate with until the signal is essentially gone.

I found that using either method (exact same settings or indiv. IPs,) I can connnect. However with the indiv. settings one or more will go off line after a day or two and have to be replugged. I also found that my two adapters are quite different even though made by Atheros. My netbook with a AR5007EG is quite liberal and generally quickly connects to the stronger signal. The AR928X in a Sony laptop almost always requires a manual connect. Both have the latest drivers installed.
I currently have all repeaters using the same IP. I will change that and see if it does make auto connection easierand more stable. The repeaters provide a 100% signal while the "dead" areas are in the +/-50% range.
One other question:In the setup the form asks for a gateway. The default is all zeros. Is it possible I need to find that IP and would that make the system more stable?
Thanks again,
Bill

I was also somewhat amazed. But, they don't and when all is well they work perfectly as I want. I can move throughout the house and the adapter seems to find the stronger signal. I was careful to make sure each one was set up exactly the same and that the security type was the same for each adapter. Did find that that was essential to a full signal. There is a strong decline in signal between WPA Personal and WPA-1 Personal. The only problem was the occasional disconnect. However, that may also be caused by other 2.4 signals around the house, i.e. security cameras etc.
Thank you very much for your input. I had read the two links above earlier and find your observations on this subject very valuable. Have a wonderful holiday season and my best to you for the New Year !
Bill