What's new

My R7000 is making a faint noise

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kal619

New Around Here
Hello, I recently purchased a netgear nighthawk ac1900 r7000 and noticed a sizzling sound coming from the router. It gets louder when there is heavy Internet traffic like when I'm streaming from Netflix. I have heard of others having this problem but don't know if it's worth returning. It works perfectly fine otherwise. Thank you.

That is caused by the wifi radio, if you use ethernet, there should not be any noise, but heavy traffic over wifi, causes a weird noise. It is normal for this router.

Returned my first r7000 because of the noise. It like a fuzzing/sizzling as described in OP's post when there is high amounts of traffic over wifi.

Received my replacement unit today from Amazon and it has the exact same issue.

Is it worth to go for a third RMA or is the chance pretty slim to get a unit without the noise?

I would guess this is how they are. Even if you get one that worked now; it will probably develop this problem sooner rather than later.

This doesn't sound too promising. It's too bad because the router is just great apart from this issue. Outperforming the Ac68u convincingly, especially in the 2.4ghz band(atleast in my surroundings).

Went for another RMA and will see what happens.

I'm currently talking to the Netgear support ( Through standard support and Netgear Amazon). Still waiting for an answer.

I expect them to deny this issue and tell me to exchange my R7000, which would be my 4th. Another R7000 user replied to my Amazon product review reporting the same issue, while he also tried 3 different R7000.

It really is a shame because the router is awesome apart from the noise issue.

Upate regarding the issue:

The support told me that the issue has now officially been acknowledged and Netgear is working on it. 50 R7000 from various countries are being send to the development center in Taiwan, where they will analyse the issue further. They will find a solution but it will probably take quiet some time until fixed devices will be available for sale. My guess is atleast 2-3 months.

If the noise is an issue in your surroundings, you should wait until Netgear has officially fixed the issue.

I would guess this is how they are. Even if you get one that worked now; it will probably develop this problem sooner rather than later.

Interesting guess based on what? Have had an R7000 now for 6 months, doesn't make a peep, and don't expect it to. I actually exchanged the first one I got after about 2 weeks for a different reason, neither R7000 that I've had has made any noise at all. Don't know what you're basing your statement on.

I firmly believe that a defect crept into their manufacturing process and will be remedied. I feel badly for those that got noisy ones, but Netgear has been doing exchanges for them...the problem is that they've been exchanging them for equally defective ones.

I think that this will get straightened out over time.

I am basing it on the fact it is a design issue. It can't be anything else.

Once the design gets changed (tighter spec's?), it will get straightened out, I'm sure.

I am basing it on the fact it is a design issue. It can't be anything else.

Once the design gets changed (tighter spec's?), it will get straightened out, I'm sure.

I disagree with you, that's life.

It's okay; everyone disagrees with me.

That's my life. :)

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!