What's new

My RT-AC86U is making hidden open networks?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Numan

Occasional Visitor
EDIT: I solved this...it was a Google Home Mini...

Now how to delete this thread to save embarrassment...

Hi All,

I'm running 384.9 and my wife noticed there was an Open Network showing up on her laptop all of a sudden with a strong signal and wondered if I was doing anything. After checking all sorts of devices around the house, I've narrowed it down to...the router.

Between the Windows 10 wifi finder and an older version of inSSIDer from Metageek to scan nearby wifi signals, I've found that the open network is piggybacking on my 2.4Ghz network.

Net1.Jpg shows what my Windows 10 is seeing and Net2.jps is the cropped image from what the inSIDDer is showing. For those that don't know, it shows the networks in lines and graphs and that graph is the hidden network selected (in yellow) and that faint grey line is my actual network signal.

I'm not sure what to even look for. I've used Asus and Merlin's FW for a long time now and I've done no weird setting changes. I have no VPNs enabled or anything of the sort, just the 2.4 and 5Ghz networks set showing their SSID and both with WP2 encryption.

Any ideas on what to check?

EDIT: The MAC for this weird network starts with FA:8F:CA which after Googling seems to be from a Google device? I'll have to look more into this...

Attachments

• Net1.JPG
    Net1.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 366
  • Net2.JPG
    Net2.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
I have noticed this also. I don't have Google Home Mini or Alexa. Plus mine are on both 5G and 2.4G and they are secure. It shows my 5G and 2.4G SSIDs that aren't hidden also.