What's new

N66U Rebooting ever 15-30 minutes after firmware update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

richem0nt

New Around Here
Updated the firmware today to the latest version from Asus and it started randomly rebooting itself. No matter what version I put on it now, Merlin's, older firmwares that I know worked, etc all have the same thing going on. I've tried clearing the VRAM and updating the firmware from the emergency mode and putting everything back to default settings, but nothing works.

Here's my log from the last event(idk why the dates are all messed up, but the actual date is 9/11 @ around 11:30pm)http://jsfiddle.net/62ux579q/

I used jsfiddle just to share the text of the log since it doesn't fit in this post

Last edited:
Make sure you do a factory default reset after flashing. We have no idea from which version to which version you went, so that'd be my first guess.

Make sure you do a factory default reset after flashing. We have no idea from which version to which version you went, so that'd be my first guess.

Running your latest firmware 376.45.

My steps:
1) Put router in emergency mode.
2) Cleared NVRAM.
3) Upload firmware.
4) Wait for reboot.
5) Hold the reset button for 5 seconds while on to set to default.
6) Initial setup (only weird thing here is that it fails to detect my isp settings)
7) set up wifi ssid/key

And still reboots itself randomly ..

It is better to clear your nvram by turning your router off for 30 seconds and then hold the wps button down while turning the router back on and wait another 30 seconds while you are doing that.

It doesn't hurt to clear the system logs after switching between firmware builds either.

Running your latest firmware 376.45.

My steps:
1) Put router in emergency mode.
2) Cleared NVRAM.
3) Upload firmware.
4) Wait for reboot.
5) Hold the reset button for 5 seconds while on to set to default.
6) Initial setup (only weird thing here is that it fails to detect my isp settings)
7) set up wifi ssid/key

And still reboots itself randomly ..

The manual says to press and hold the reset button for more than 5 seconds. Try 10 seconds.

The manual says to press and hold the reset button for more than 5 seconds. Try 10 seconds.

The proper way to clear the nvram on a rt-n66u is by holding down the wps button while turning on the router and waiting for 10 seconds or longer. Holding the reset button does not work as well.

Another way you could do this is buy putting your router into recovery mode after you flash the firmware and go to the asus cfe page and select the erase nvram option.

A third way you can clear the nvram would be logging on to telnet and using "mtd-erase -d nvram" command and then the "sync && reboot" command right afterwards.

All three of those options are better then using the reset button. I know from experience.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20120402185854804&board_id=11&model=RT-N66U+

Last edited:
The proper way to clear the nvram on a rt-n66u is by holding down the wps button while turning on the router and waiting for 10 seconds or longer. Holding the reset button does not work as well.

Another way you could do this is buy putting your router into recovery mode after you flash the firmware and go to the asus cfe page and select the erase nvram option.

A third way you can clear the nvram would be logging on to telnet and using "mtd-erase -d nvram" command and then the "sync && reboot" command right afterwards.

All three of those options are better then using the reset button. I know from experience.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20120402185854804&board_id=11&model=RT-N66U+

Doing a factory reset by holding in the reset button for 10 to 15 seconds is all that's needed. This process clears NVRAM and sets the router back to default conditions. There may be others ways to clear NVRAM but they are not necessary. This information came directly from Asus support.

Try disabling HW acceleration under LAN -> Switch Control.

Doing a factory reset by holding in the reset button for 10 to 15 seconds is all that's needed. This process clears NVRAM and sets the router back to default conditions. There may be others ways to clear NVRAM but they are not necessary. This information came directly from Asus support.

If you erase the nvram, it will always set the router back to default conditions.

Used telnet commands to clear nvram and reboot, router was okay for most of the day but just rebooted again.. not sure whats going on with it.