What's new

[N66U] Webpage response time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qinn

New Around Here
Hi there I've been using Tomato by Shibby on a ASUS RT-N66U for a few years now and it has been very stable. Yet one issue still remains, the response time when requesting a webpage sometimes takes long, not to say very long. As soon as I refresh the wireless connection everything is fine again.
Tomato was set to AP mode and the only 3 things I have changed are TX Power to 100mW on 2.4 Ghz and 150 on 5 Ghz and I set it from gateway to router mode. (BTW Most WiFi router disable the firewall in AP mode, but with Tomato (not that it matters) there is no option in the GUI to disable it)

Just out of curiosity I installed the latest the stock firmware from Asus RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_378_9383-gc6c2b9d. First thing I noticed is that Asus uses the Broadcom driver 6.30.163.2002 as Tomato-RT-N66U_RT-AC6x--132-AIO-64K uses Broadcom driver 6.20.39.31. Second I was amazed by the speed and stability of the stock Firmware (when I first used it, say 3 years ago, it was very unstable). Thirdly with this stock version there were no response time issues when requesting a webpage.

Yet Asus stock is restricted to 45mW and also the Merlin version (which to some extension I understand) but, as I am living in the countryside pumping up the power a bit hurts no one.

So, I went over to the Merlin Fork v374.4(V15E5) by John9527 (thanks for the hard work man) and adjusted the Tx Power to 100mW on 2,4Ghz and 150 on 5Ghz and it has been stable now for 3 weeks so no response "problems".

So what's the question/problem you might ask. Well, I have become accustomed to the GUI and possibilities of Shibby's Tomato and would like to revert back to it.

So is there a clue to why the Tomato has these response issues as I mentioned above and is there a work around or solution to it, maybe even iOS related?

Thanks for any help in advance ;)