What's new

NAS appliance unable to mount SMB share from AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TakeuchiNonaka

New Around Here
Hi - as mentioned in the title, I'm trying to mount a USB drive connected to my AX88U onto my local NAS unit (a TerraMaster F4-423 running stock TerraMaster OS 5.1 if it matters).

All my other devices in the network can mount the AX88U share except the NAS, and likewise the NAS can mount all other SMB shares in my system except the one connected to AX88U.

I've cycled through the latest stock firmware, the latest Merlin firmware, and a few iterations back, to no avail.

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this or a similar issue before and have found a solution - would appreciate any feedback or guidance.

Make sure NAS is trying to connect using SMBv2 or lower.
This is the setting on my NAS:

1712239212228.png

I don't think the NAS per se is the issue though since it's able to mount SMB shares from other devices on the network, just not the one connected to AX88U.

I'm leaning towards an incompatibility between the NAS and the router, but that would be quite strange.

This is the setting on my NAS:

View attachment 57673

I don't think the NAS per se is the issue though since it's able to mount SMB shares from other devices on the network, just not the one connected to AX88U.

I'm leaning towards an incompatibility between the NAS and the router, but that would be quite strange.
Try setting the Max version to SMB2 and seeing if it then works.

Tried that, doesn't work either. :/
Debugging router Samba problems is a pain in the neck. The only way I've been able to do it is by changing the smb.conf file to increase the log level to 3 or higher. This is easier to do if you're using Merlin's firmware.

Debugging router Samba problems is a pain in the neck. The only way I've been able to do it is by changing the smb.conf file to increase the log level to 3 or higher. This is easier to do if you're using Merlin's firmware.
I can always go back to Merlin. I'm just a bit surprised because I've never had SMB issues with this router before.

I can always go back to Merlin. I'm just a bit surprised because I've never had SMB issues with this router before.
I've had problems with current versions of the Samba client running on Linux trying to connect to the router's older version of Samba (some of the new defaults are incompatible IIRC). I've not had a problem with Windows PC's (other than when Windows 10 disabled SMBv1 support).

I've just tested this again as a reminder from my Ubuntu server. It would only mount the router's share when using vers=1.0 or vers=2.0. It will not work using vers=2.1 (which is typically what is meant by SMBv2) or vers=default.

EDIT: Found my previous post about SMB 2.0 here.

Last edited: