What's new

Need a router recommendation...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gudge

New Around Here
My house is being cabled for gigabit ethernet on Monday, I think it's time to replace my Linksys WRT54G, which has been fairly reliable but not completely.

I have two XBox 360s, 2 PCs, 2 laptops, a VOIP box and a file server.

All the machines except the server and the VOIP box are on wireless G right now. Come Monday, everything but the laptops will be on wired connections. One of the laptops supports N, the other will be on G.

My home is about 2500 sq ft and the current Linksys router, covers the entire house and the back deck without any problem.

I have been doing some research, mainly on this site once I'd found it and I thought I'd narrowed the field down to D-Link DGL-4500, DGL-4300 or DIR-655, but all of them seem to have a fair number of poor customer reviews on, say, Amazon, hence me asking for the advice of this site community.

I think I want something with QoS, both to help my Halo 3 habit and make sure my VOIP calls back to the UK are good quality, otherwise I would consider the Apple Airport Extreme, which several colleagues seem happy with.

So, anyone got a setup like mine? What router would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/feedback.

Cheers

Gudge

P.S. This site is extremely useful. I've not found any other site that has this level of detailed information

I ended up going with the Netgear WNDR3700, which is fantastic.

I had one issue with VOIP until I upgraded to the V1.0.4.55 firmware, but that is now resolved.

Cheers

Gudge