What's new

Need a Set & Forget upgrade for my aged parents?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

duncan7

New Around Here
I about to go visit my folks for a couple of days. As typically happens on these trips, my dad's got a few tech jobs spooled up for me, including unboxing a new thinkpad he's bought to replace his dying T-40.

They're running a Linksys wrt-54g, which has been doing pretty well. It's been awhile since I looked at their signal strength, but I know it reaches from the second floor down to their Blu-ray and lets them stream Netflix. Their incoming WAN is Comcast 6 megabit, IIRC, and besides the occasional connection from the Blu-ray and a Wii, there are no other wireless clients.

While I'm messing with stuff up there, would there be any benefit to pre-emptively swapping out the 54G and going to an something that does N? I was thinking it couldn't hurt to swap it out for something like a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, just for somewhat better throughput vs. distance, but the disappearing SSID bug is exactly the kind of thing I don't want to introduce to their setup.

I'm running a linksys 400N at home and it's been pretty stable (with the stock firmware, DD-WRT wouldn't hold a connection on the 5Ghz band for more than a couple hours). There's some advantage, in my mind, to being able to visualize the web interface locally in case their connection goes south and I have to troubleshoot it over the phone. That said, folks seem to be less and less satisfied with the post-acquisition Linksys stuff. So...

Should I leave well enough alone or is there something solid in the sub $60 range that would be a worthwhile upgrade?

I would tend to leave things alone, especially since if you break it, you need to fix it...remotely.

You won't get a benefit from switching to N unless the client supports N.

You won't get a benefit from switching to N unless the client supports N.

Well, yeah. I actually spec'd the new machine I'll be setting up with the 62095 (2x2) Centrino N upgrade over the stock ThinkPad N radio. Unless my folks are using the blu-ray (G) or wii (G), when they're unlikely to be on the laptop, that laptop is the only client, so the whole network could be N.

I hear you on the "if it ain't broke" recommendation, though. Thanks.

If you want to try N, I'd stay simple with single band and 10/100 ports. A refurb'd Cisco Linksys E1200 is only $30 from the Cisco store with free shipping and 90 day moneyback.

If you want something a bit more "pro", consider the Ubiquiti PowerAP N, which despite its name, is a router.