What's new

Need advice for wireless network setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

P

photovox

Hey all,

I've been reading a lot of information on network and have this forum to thank for a lot of my knowledge.

That said, I think what I'm trying to do now is a little over my head. I'll hope to describe all of this clearly. Here goes.

I currently have 1 laptop (seldom used), 1 PC desktop (wife's), and 1 iMac (mine) that all on a 801.11g network connecting to the internet and each other.

I just purchased a D-Link DNS-323 to serve as a file server/backup. I want to network it via gigabit connection to my desktops. I also want it to be able to connect wirelessly to the internet and to my laptop. I would still like to connect to the internet wirelessly with all of the computers.

To to this, I bought a D-Link DAP-1522 Wireless AP/Bridge with gigabit switch.

1. Is the DAP-1522 the right tool for the job?

2. If yes, then will it work in AP or bridge mode? I think I'd want to use it in bridge mode since I'd want the DNS-323 to grab an IP address from my router.

3. Can I limit the desktops to be connected with the DNS-323 via a wired connection with the DAP-1522 only, and only connect to the internet via wireless? I see that the DAP-1522 has a WLAN partition - would it be used for this?

4. How would the laptop fit into all of this?

5. Any other pitfalls that I'm not thinking of?

I've attached a diagram of what I would want the completed network to look like.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• network.jpg
    network.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 256
You would use DAP as Wireless Client Bridge so what that means is it will make all wired devices become wireless. DAP is 100% wireless it doesn't need to be connected to a router via a wired Ethernet cable. Your setup looks great you shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure your DAP has a static IP address, not DHCP.

Wireless router is your DHCP Server
DAP is your Wireless Client Bridge with a Static IP

If you want you can add another Linksys and use it as AP but that would connect with a LAN cable to the DAP and you would give that AP a static IP also. I've done this myself it does work very well.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!