What's new

Need advice to buy between asus ac68u and netgear r7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alexistkd

New Around Here
Hi i need some advice, after reading many articles about the router asus ac68u and the netgear r7000 i cant decide which one should i buy, in my home i have many devices, ipads, like 5 cell phones, 2 smartvs running netflix each almost always and so on, i would like to upgrade my current router Linksys E2500 for a new one, i really like the asus but then i turn confused when i see in other places that r7000 is better lol. Which one should i choose?

thank you very much.

I have both an R7000 and an RT-AC68P at the moment. I'll most likely return the RT-AC68P, though. They seem very comparable, the only disadvantage of the R7000 is that the Netgear stock firmware has a sparse web admin interface. While the style of the web admin interface for the RT-AC68P has a dated look, it could really use some refinement, it does have a lot more information available than the R7000's stock firmware. And, if you need to, you can run user scripts to add functionality if you use RMerlin's firmware, which is the firmware that I'm using. However, at my house, the R7000 does have the edge on 5GHz. wireless coverage, although both cover my whole house very well.

And both routers have third-party firmware available, so you aren't stuck with the stock firmware if it doesn't serve your needs.

I really think it's up to you, you can't lose with either one. If push comes to shove, you could buy both and return the one that you like less. Just make sure that the place where you buy them allows returns. I have until Jan. 15 to decide if I'm keeping the RT-AC68P, so I'm giving it a good workout before then *smile*. It's on sale at BestBuy for $170, a good price for it in my opinion. And they're allowing returns for anything bought Nov/Dec timeframe until Jan. 15.

so u only dislike netgear r7000 for the design of their admin interface? What about the range between those two which one u think have better wifi range

So far, I'm seeing that the R7000 has slightly better range at the 5GHz. band here. I don't care much about 2.4GHz. range, since I only have one (slow) client that uses that, and the rest (the other 10 clients) are on 5GHz. In fact, the two iPhone 6's and iPad Air 2 all use wireless-AC.

I had the RT-AC66 (Not 68) and R7000 at home. Both provide the same max theoretical connection speed at 5Ghz. I thought the results would be similar, but I was very surprised. The R7000 provided stronger signal and longer range both inside and outside the house, with Wireless N and AC clients. I measured about 10-15% increase in actual downlink and uplink speed with AC client several rooms away. I have not tried the AC68 yet, but the R7000 is very impressive indeed.