What's new

Need advice with set up!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Webfanatic

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I need some advice as to how you would set this network up. I'm not a networking expert (or even novice) by any means so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I am currently living in an apartment that does not get good signal due to the thickness of the walls.

My ISP gave me a modem/router. I had them put the router in "bridge mode" (I think thats what its called) ...essentially the router is turned off the modem....and now i am able to use my own router. There are four ethernet cables plugged in from the apartment cables into my router and each of these four leads to the various rooms in my apartments.

I am currently using an Asus RT-AC68U (PPPOE connected to my ISP) as my "main" router that is plugged into the modem through WAN. The four LAN ports are being used by those cables leading to the four rooms i mentioned earlier.

I also have the following at my disposal:

- Apple Airport Extreme (new style, tall one)
- Apple Airport Extreme (old version, square flat)
- Asus RT-AC56U

How would you guys go about setting this up? I have three main rooms (living room, office, and bedroom) that needs to have wired and wireless capabilities. Each room has several devices that required both wired/wireless (such as PS4, Xbox One, Smart TV's, etc)

Do I just plug these routers into the room wall ethernet jacks and set them up in bridge mode? or is there another way to get the most out of what i currently have.

Obviously my goal is to get the fastest possible speed and range for all my devices.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online