What's new

Need assistance with expanding wireless network...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

htismaqe

Very Senior Member
Today I have a single 2.4Ghz SSID and a single 5Ghz SSID, both originating from a Netgear WNDR3700. This device also supports Guest SSIDs on both radios, with or without allowing LAN access.

I've grown from half a dozen wireless devices over the past few years to almost 20 now when you count iPads, Androids, Kindle Fires, and wireless Blu Ray players.

My plan is to separate my network into two SSIDs on the 2.4Ghz, one on channel 1 and one on channel 11 and then divide the devices between the two depending on their function. I plan on extending ethernet cables from my 3700 to each end of the house and install access points there.

My issue is that I need access points that support 2 SSIDs (or guest networking like my 3700) so that I don't have to install 2 APs in both places (for a total of 4).

I'm not looking for something elaborate or expensive. Thanks in advance.

any WiFi router can be re-purposed as an Access Point. There's a FAQ on that here. Simple to do.
Should work too if the routers supports a guest SSID.

I was thinking about that over the weekend - another 3700 would do the trick. Thanks for the advice.

You're better off installing wireless access points and using your router as the gateway for all your devices. This will make it easier for you to control/monitor the network. Take a look at the Jack Pack by Panoptic. You can mount it into a wall jack. Keeps people from messing with it.