What's new

Need Client for R7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ProfoundGlee

Occasional Visitor
I am currently using a 12 year old linksys router as a client bridge operating at a blazing 54mpbs to connect my desktop to the internet.

Most people say I should get a wired connection but I don't own the building, so it's just not going to happen.

I bought an R7000 mostly because the various linksys/other routers were all crap and kept disconnecting and "hiccupping" so I would take the router back to the store and go for the next most expensive thing.

I understand my best option is to buy an AC68 card, but 100 dollars is a lot, I think. Plus, I'm not quite sure I want that sitting in my computer directly above my graphics card.

My computer has a miniPCIe slot, so I thought it'd be really sweet and cost effective to buy a little wireless card, like one puts in a laptop. My only problem is that I cannot find a proper antenna, even though I know they have to exist somewhere: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z87 Extreme6/ac

Does anyone have any ideas on cost effective cards, or where to find an antenna?

I could also try a bridge, but I bought a TP-LINK WDR3600 and it couldn't bridge to save its life, even with DD-WRT enabled. I suppose I'll eventually shell out for another r7000, but you know, 200 dollars is a lot.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm confused. Are you replacing the "12 year old Linksys" with the R7000 and trying to use it as a bridge to connect to your building wireless?

Sorry, I'm confused. Are you replacing the "12 year old Linksys" with the R7000 and trying to use it as a bridge to connect to your building wireless?

So the set up is like this. I have the cable modem and the R7000 in one room, and the computer and WRT54G client bridge in another room.

I actually really like this set up and I think I'd want another bridge like it if that's even possible.

If you want cheap, but an Intel 7260AC card. I got mine for my laptop for $30.

If there are no existing antennas in your PC, just go on amazon or where ever else and get a pair of dual band antennas with u.fl connectors on them.

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DP64JRG/?tag=snbforums-20

You'll need to drill the case somewhere to run the antennas through and mount them, but I am sure if you are really cheap and don't want to modify your case/motherboard backplate, you could probably snake the wires out of the case and then just tape the antennas to the case.

Total cost, less than $50 and probably a lot faster than any bridge you could get for even modestly close to the same price.

If you want cheap, but an Intel 7260AC card. I got mine for my laptop for $30.

If there are no existing antennas in your PC, just go on amazon or where ever else and get a pair of dual band antennas with u.fl connectors on them.

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DP64JRG/?tag=snbforums-20

You'll need to drill the case somewhere to run the antennas through and mount them, but I am sure if you are really cheap and don't want to modify your case/motherboard backplate, you could probably snake the wires out of the case and then just tape the antennas to the case.

Total cost, less than $50 and probably a lot faster than any bridge you could get for even modestly close to the same price.

YESS!! Thank you. I knew those cords could be bought somewhere! u.fl is the word I needed.

Yeah, the only ac bridge I saw on the cheap was http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0090DX8O8/?tag=snbforums-20 for 40 dollars and it apparently has issues. And the on snb seems to indicate that it can't shut off or dim the lights...which would be annoying if they're bright.

Honestly, the AC1900 was more hmm... this router costs the same as an AC1750 but is ac1900, I tried various other N and AC routers before settling on this one. They all had various issues where they'd intermittently reboot or drop connection.

Anyway, my case has a pass through for cords in the back, so I'm really just going to see if I can find some sort of...unified antenna that I can place on top of the case.

Sure, lots of companies make desktop mount antennas.

Also you could get the complete package here http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DV4I8LK/?tag=snbforums-20

Though it has a mini-PCIe to PCIe card adapter which you don't really need...or you could use it if you wanted.

Alternately and cheaper, you could get a USB 802.11ac adapter. Some are fairly cheap and fairly good, though likely wouldn't be able to touch the Intel 7260ac, especially not with good external antennas attached to it.