What's new

Need help creating second isolation wireless network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

travisco_nabisco

Regular Contributor
My parents are going to rent out a suite in they house and want to figure out how to set up a separate, isolated wireless network for the tenants.

They have a Cable Modem with built in router and wireless that was provided by their ISP, I'm not sure of the model. They also have an older wireless router, a 4 port DLink with wireless b/g.

The initial though from me was that they can just plug the Dlink WAN into one of the ports on the Modem Router and be done with it. On further thought I am not sure that will isolate the network at all and need to know what I am missing.

If I set up the second router on a separate subnet, would that be sufficient?

I'll try to get the exact router and modem models and update this thread when I have them.

Thanks.

You should invest in a second WAN port from your ISP and then you could use that for your tenants and your first WAN port can be for your family. Either get a dual WAN WiFi router or buy two WiFi Routers.

I will recommend that, but I imagine my parents will want to make do with the hardware they currently have.

I got the models of their current router / modem.

Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway
DLink WBR1310

The Cisco has a VPN option on it and I was wondering whether that could be helpful for creating an isolated network.

I understand the concept of VPN, but not how it would be implemented.

My parents are going to rent out a suite in they house and want to figure out how to set up a separate, isolated wireless network for the tenants.

They have a Cable Modem with built in router and wireless that was provided by their ISP, I'm not sure of the model. They also have an older wireless router, a 4 port DLink with wireless b/g.

The initial though from me was that they can just plug the Dlink WAN into one of the ports on the Modem Router and be done with it. On further thought I am not sure that will isolate the network at all and need to know what I am missing.

If I set up the second router on a separate subnet, would that be sufficient?

I'll try to get the exact router and modem models and update this thread when I have them.

Thanks.
I'd get a second ISP WAN connnection and pass the cost to the tenants in the rent/lease.
Otherwise, you can purchase a router that's one step above the generic consumer routers and has "guest" WiFi capability. This would route users on the guest SSID to the internet alone and prevent them from accessing computers on the wired/wireless LAN. It may be an overkill to go for a router with true bandwidth management to prevent the tenants from hogging too much of a single ISP connection bandwidth.

VPN is not applicable to your goal.

Check your local ordinances/laws - in many communities, tenants have to be provided a separate telco drop (e.g. dedicated dialtone) - the tenant can then choose to use analog dialup, or work with their telco provider to arrange for xDSL for broadband internet.

Just set them up a guest network. Or if they want their own network, you can purchase another WAN port (cable modem) from your ISP and have them pay the extra fee.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!