What's new

Need Help, new home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quigs

New Around Here
Moved into a new home that does not have any wiring for network. I am trying to get everyone on one network. Here is what I have.

Time Warner Cable Modem for Internet
Cisco E4200 with DD-WRT installed.
Netgear N600 with base firmware
Switch

Have 2 laptops, 1 desktop, 1 home media server, 2 Directv boxes, Boxee, Canon Wireless printer, and tablets.

I currently have a zyxel powerline adapter that I use to get internet to the second floor desktop. that is plugged into the netgear and the desktop is plugged into the netgear. That gives me wireless on second floor.

In basement I have time warner modem going into E4200. Then the E4200 is plugged into a switch. The switch also has the has the Media Server plugged in.

1 Laptop accesses wireless through E4200 and can see media server. Printer is connected to E4200 as well. That laptop can print. The computer on the second floor which goes through the powerline, through the switch, cannot see Media Server even though its plugged into switch.

Net is I want everything on one network. But, having 2 access points, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. What do I do?

Config the E4200 as an access point (see FAQ here), where the WAN port goes unused. Or do you have that already?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!