What's new

Need Help to Setup a Mesh Netwotk

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gymbow

New Around Here
I currently have a RT-AC88U Router and need to extend coverage in my home (2600 sq ft). I’ve been using just a TP Link extender to increase coverage, but the problem I’m having is that devices on the far side of the home end up on a different Network, so I can’t tie in all my IoT devices on one network. I’d like to be able to link my IoT devices throughout the home on one Network.

If I understand correctly, a Mesh Network will fix this problem, but my knowledge of Networks is limited. So my questions are:
1. What ASUS product would you recommend I purchase to use in tandem with my RT-AC88U Router to create this Mesh Network?
2. Which device (the new ASUS product you recommend) or my existing RT-AC88U device should be used as the main and which one as the node?

I’ve been using just a TP Link extender to increase coverage, but the problem I’m having is that devices on the far side of the home end up on a different Network

Your extender is not configured properly. You can fix this and save a new device purchase.

Set the "TP Link extender" to AP mode.
Currently it is probably working as a router and separates wan/lan ports to different networks.
If you still need coverage and have money to burn, than:
1. What ASUS product would you recommend I purchase to use in tandem with my RT-AC88U Router to create this Mesh Network?
Any Asus, but your AC88U has Broadcom chipset, so would be better to use the same chipset manufacturer and fw versions.
2. Which device (the new ASUS product you recommend) or my existing RT-AC88U device should be used as the main and which one as the node?
You can even buy better (AX, AXE or even BE) models, and you can transfer your current settings to that new one, so you can use your current AC router -after a factory reset- as an Ai Mesh node. But even if your budget is not limited, you could turn that money into more IoT devices. -Or to food, nowdays...

Thank you for the replies. Note, the Extender I have doesn’t support Mesh capability. I’ll give the AP mode a try. However, if I were to upgrade to a newer version ASUS Mesh Router, which one would you suggest to pair up with the RT-AC88U? There are so many options that it is confusing. Let’s say my budget would be $250 max.

Edit: OK, I did a bit more research and it looks like the RT-AX88U Pro would work as it’s available within my price range. Any comments or feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:
One main thing was not discussed: Are you using a wired backhaul? (Ethernet between the Asus router and the TP-Link?) Or it is on a wireless backhaul?

Note, the Extender I have doesn’t support Mesh capability.

Your extender has to be set as repeater with no DHCP and with the same SSID. All connected to it devices will be on the same network as devices connected to the main router. Mesh is a new catch word used by consumer product manufacturers and in some cases incorrectly. As I said you can do similar for free with what you already have. You can pay for Mesh marketing if you like, your choice.

Plus you can get multiple mesh devices for the price of an RT-AX88U Pro.
Mesh is just mainly a marketing word for sure, but they are handling wandering between nodes a lot better. If you have womens rushing around the house who got used to have vowifi... They will punish you if you get that away from them even just for a second... :D

Mesh is just mainly a marketing word for sure, but they are handling wandering between nodes a lot better.

This is not the case with Asus AiMesh. It has very limited roaming assist tools. If the user is lucky it may work somewhat better than router with extender. Not guaranteed.

Hmm, i used four UAP-s (100Mbps PoE port, 300Mbps b/g/n) before the fiber hit us. Ubiquiti advertised that if you are using a server to manage them, you will get better roaming. I put that thing up to my seed server, it used a lot of resources, but i could only measure (ping/bandwidth) a tiny difference during roaming, was not noticable during normal use. Even earlier when i used different brands (Linksys, D-Link) as a "mesh" there were only problems during roaming. Maybe just caused by different channels on the "nodes" and also the devices (old android phones) was not able to handle them as well as they do it now. After the fiber hit us, i changed the UAP-s to four RT-AX53Us, and i can only tell from the dB levels what nodes im using, without a ping loss or bandwidth drop. But before setting it up properly (as an AiMesh), first i tried to just use them as individually configured APs, like i did it with the UAPs (after i binned that garbage server software). That time i got negative responses from the above mentioned vowifi power users...

Proper roaming needs proper system setup. When you have the tools (SMB gear) it's doable. When you have nothing or the bare minimum (consumer gear) it's a hit and miss. You've got lucky.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online