What's new

Need help upgrading to Gigabit Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bryan_05

New Around Here
I want to upgrade my wireless network from my D-Link DI-524. I have 2 laptops, an xbox, and a HP Homeserver.

I want to go to Gigabit to write to the server faster. I received the Belkin N+ for Xmas (before finding this website) and got it installed. The wired speeds are great and I like the admin interface much more than the D-Link. However, my wireless speeds have turned to trash - I'm getting about 1MB/s instead of the 7 or 8 I was getting previously.

I have tried the following to no avail:
1. Changing the wireless channel.
2. Shutting off the n network.
3. Turning on only the n network.

Barring some strange help I'm sending this back, but I would still like a new router (don't need N). What do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

~^~ fins up

If all of your clients are 11g, then set the router to G only mode.

If that doesn't work, return the Belkin, get a Gigabit switch, plug is into your D-Link and plug your wireless clients into the new Gigabit switch.

If all of your clients are 11g, then set the router to G only mode.

If that doesn't work, return the Belkin, get a Gigabit switch, plug is into your D-Link and plug your wireless clients into the new Gigabit switch.

I tried setting the Belkin to G only, but no luck.

I've never thought about a switch b/c I didn't know what they did until just reading about them.

If I setup a switch will my current network settings still be in tact? After installing the Belkin all my computers could still find the server and printer. I would like to avoid setting them up again.

And just so I have this right

modem-->router-->switch<--all computers & devices?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!