What's new

Need help upgraging home network!!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bigfish12

New Around Here
hi everyone! i'm hoping to get some help on setting up/upgrading my home network.

currently, our office is located in the basement of our two story house. here is my current setup:

in the basement/office, i have a motorola SB6120 modem connected to cable internet.

the sb6120 is connected to a netgear fvs318v3 firewall switch.

the fvs318 is wired to two pc's, a vonage phone adapter, a network printer, and wired to two wall outlets on the second floor.

one of the wall outlets is connected to a xbox 360, and the second is connected to a netgear wgt624 wireless router (IEEE 802.11b/g) (where two laptops are connecting wirelessly)

the two laptops are currently "g" devices, but i was wanting to purchase wireless "n" adapters for each.

so, what i want to do is to upgrade to wireless "n" speeds.

i know that i'll need to get rid of the current wireless router, but how do i go about setting this all up?

should i buy a wireless "n" router or access point?

if i am still going to use the fvs318 switch connecting the new router/access point, will it affect the speed of the new router/access point?

or will i need to buy a new switch and router/access point?

let me know if you need any more information.

help please!

You need a router. Many ISPs provide one, and some have WiFi.
That switch, IMO, is a burden and imprudent expense, given the real firewall you rely on is in the router. A switch cannot be an effective port based firewall.

An access point is used to add new/better WiFi coverage; it's placed near the weak signal area and a cat5 cable is run to the router. Or the cat5 cable is replaced with IP over the power line (HPNA) devices, or IP over TV coax (MoCA devices). Both are discussed in other areas of this forum.

Hope that clears it up.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!