What's new

need help with a specuial setup wifi/nas/wired

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

H

hungarian

Hi All

I am new here and have problems localizing the product I need. Here my setup.
House with 2 floors. Upstairs I have a Orange (Sagem) router/wlan/modem unit.
Diownstairs I have a Pc (connects directly by WIFI to the Orange Sagem Box).

New:
Istar mini NMT

Actual setup:
Orange Sagem box connected to PC downstairs by Wifi, PC has 2 lan cards build in. I use one of the lancards to connect to my NMT, works, tough internet doesnt work (in the NMT).

What would I like to reach:

second wifi router downstairs (which also includes a NAS wich is capable of NFS)which connects to the upstairs wifi router.(downstairs router +NAS) connects to the pc and nmt (by lan ).

Important facts:
-I know that wired from upstairs to a downstairs router would be best, but I am not allowed to drill holes in the house)
-I would need a nas build in somewhere along the line as I need this to stream to the NMT, and since there are some possibilities available (Linksys WRT 600 etc) I thought that this might be best.
- I need quite a big data flow, some of the files I stream are in HD and need massive bandwidth( between the Nas and the PC or NMT).

So I call for advice. I realy hope anyone can help me further. Main point is, which router/accesspoint/nas (nfs capable)would work.

Thank you in advance

H

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple things to note:

First, routers that have directly attached storage capabilities are very, very slow. You won't get good file/streaming performance from any type of storage device that's connected directly to a router (even over wired LAN). You probably want to look at a completely separate NAS or storage device. You also say you'll have a big data flow, so another reason why you'll want a separate NAS.

Secondly, you want a wireless router downstairs that will connect with your upstairs wireless router. Out of the box, router dont normally do this. You either want to use a Wireless Bridge, or buy a router that has alternative firmware capabilities (like Tomato, DDWRT) which will open up the router to allow you to do this. A wireless bridge would probably do. You might not need 2 routers, though... If everything will be on the same network, you just need a switch (with a wireless bridge so it can connect to the router upstairs).

Hi Scotty

1. wow, posted answered. I am impressed.
2. thank you very much for the informations about the speeds. If this "all in one" solutions are slow, then I need them as much as a third leg.

So, if I got you right a bridge (not access point) connected to a switch, also free standing NAS should be the way to go.

Any tips about the make? NAS and Bridge wise

Thank you again.

H

Yep, you got it right.

No particular recommendations on a bridge. Most of the offerings from DLink or Linksys should do you fine. A NAS is a little more complicated as there's lots of options out there, depending on your needs. You can buy NAS's that come with hard drives, or where you bring your own hard drives (aka. BYOD). You might want to read some of the NAS articles and charts on the site here to give yourself an idea. Overall, DLink's DNS 321 and 323 models seem to be a good, afforadable middleground device with decent overall speeds. They're BYOD, by the way.

it looks like I am getting old :)
it took me some time to figure what means BYOD......:D

the only problem is/was the make of the bridge. I have a linksys range extender and if I tell you what kind of mess it was, to get that working with the Sagem modem/router/wifi I have.....

Nightmarish.

So if I look into linksys I should be good. best would be a piece with a buil in router. So I dont have to get more and more pieces of hardware flying around..

Anyway, thank you very much Scoty, you helped me realy a lot

Cheers

H

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!