What's new

Need help with better wifi coverage in a large home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jencathen

New Around Here
I have a 4700 sq foot home with a basement and 2 stories. I have a large pool/garden area that I would like wifi access to also.

My current set up is an Asus RT-AX86U router in the basement and 2 Asus extenders RP-AX56 one on the first floor and the other on the second floor. It used to work okay in the house, but for some reason I am no longer able to use the repeaters as AiMesh nodes which is how they were initially set up. I tried every suggestion I found but haven't had success. The extenders now have lots of disconnect issues and are not reliable. It is mostly the two bedrooms on the 2nd floor with all the issues. Even when the set up worked in the house, I never had good coverage in the garden.

So I'm wondering what would be the best solution. We have 5 adults in my house who all use the internet heavily. My sons play online games. My Mom uses it for watching TV and her Kindle. My husband mainly uses his PC for schoolwork. I watch TV and occasionally play WoW. We have 5 smart TVs connecting to the system, 4 pcs, 5 mobile phones, 2 kindles, and a Sony Playstation. So a ton of network traffic.

Should I upgrade router and use the AiMesh AX6100 system? Should I use MoCA with the new system? or could I use my existing system and add MoCA? But I still have been unable to get my AiMesh back up and running so not sure if MoCA would even help me with my current setup. Which solution would best enable me to handle the network traffic and get full home coverage and have garden coverage too?

I'm sure there are more solutions that I'm not thinking. I don't even know if the solutions that I stated are even solutions for my problem lol.

Networking is difficult for me to understand and I appreciate any and all assistance that I can get. Thanks!

It used to work okay in the house, but for some reason I am no longer able to use the repeaters as AiMesh nodes which is how they were initially set up.
That may suggest that something in your setup changed. What changes did you make to the setup around the time the problems started? Did you update the firmware on one or more of the units by chance? If so, from what firmware version to what firmware what firmware?

Probably would help others to understand your setup if you posted the firmware used on the Asus RT-AX86U router and the two Asus RP-AX56's.

To be honest I'm unsure what happened. Suddenly last week my son and my Mother stated that they had problems with the internet. I know that my son tried rebooting the router when it happened. He swore that he didn't do anything else. When I got home that was when I looked at the Asus app and the two extenders didn't show anymore in the AiMesh. I then looked at the Asus Extender app and they no longer showed there either. I checked the units and both were plugged in, but the one in the living room was solid blue. My son said his was flashing blue.

I updated the apps and firmware for all trying to fix it. I reset the extenders.

I'm unsure from what firmware version it changed from. How would I find that?

My firmware for my router is: 3.0.0.4.388_24243. Both extenders are: 3.0.0.4.386_51891-g12b4ca4

On the Asus app it has:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240714_185509_ASUS Router.jpg
    Screenshot_20240714_185509_ASUS Router.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 21
This is a problem. You have to call someone there for assessment and eventual solution. This is the best option.
I have problem solved almost every problem for myself. I mean I build my own computers and program them. I taught myself. I set up an extensive home theater piecemeal by myself. I understand some and alot more than many tech support people who read the prompts on their screens, but can't think for themselves. That's why I came to this forum to ask for assistance. So please don't underestimate me because I find networking confusing at times. Technology is changing all the time and I'm not in the field, but I'm smart and I can understand, but I won't pretend to be an expert when I'm not.

I wish I could help you, but the information provided for square footage with pool and garden area is not enough. I know nothing about the configuration of the house and surrounding areas, building materials used, number of walls in between APs and devices, I don't even know your country/region. Anything suggested here will be a wild guess only and you'll be paying for an experiment with no guaranteed results. You asked for the best solution.

Should I upgrade router and use the AiMesh AX6100 system?

This AX6100 system is actually End-of-Life, RT-AX92U. No support, no updates, history of firmware issues. At least I can save you money from doing this mistake. MoCA - this needs assessment as well, cable availability, splitters compatibility, type of MoCA devices, etc. Not really Plug and Play.

Some general advice:
Get your most capable AP (your router) out of the basement, try more central location on the first floor. Place the two repeaters at far ends of the house, also first floor. Avoid chained repeaters - due to retransmissions the throughput and latency will take serious hit. AiMesh issues - reset and reconfigure your system, make sure the repeaters are at at least -60dBm signal level and connect directly to the main router, not to each other. A new system with wireless backhaul at the same locations most likely will have the same issues. Wired connections (Ethernet, MoCA) are more reliable than wireless backhaul.

Last edited:
So if anyone can give me some assistance that would be appreciated.
This AX6100 system is actually End-of-Life, RT-AX92U. No support, no updates, history of firmware issues. At least I can save you money from doing this mistake. MoCA - this needs assessment as well, cable availability, splitters compatibility, type of MoCA devices, etc. Not really Plug and Play.

Some general advice:
Get your most capable AP (your router) out of the basement, try more central location on the first floor. Place the two repeaters at far ends of the house, also first floor. Avoid chained repeaters - due to retransmissions the throughput and latency will take serious hit. AiMesh issues - reset and reconfigure your system, make sure the repeaters are at at least -60dBm signal level and connect directly to the main router, not to each other. A new system with wireless backhaul at the same locations most likely will have the same issues. Wired connections (Ethernet, MoCA) are more reliable than wireless backhaul.
Thank you for your reply. I will see about testing the coaxial to see if they are compatible for MoCA and will try your other suggestions. I live in Illinois and do not know who is reputable to assist me with networking. I'm newer to the state.

Depending in your ISP connection type - check if you can move it upstairs. Coax is rarely used for TV today, but Cable ISPs are common. You may be able to move upstairs the ISP device along with the basement router literally tomorrow and for few dollars in connectors. Relocating the extender plugs after is easy. This first step may improve your Wi-Fi situation at least temporary until better permanent solution is found.