What's new

need help with bridging?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cc1

New Around Here
not sure where to ask this b/c this involves several different technologies.

And I am not sure what the exact terminology is for what I am trying to accomplish, but I think maybe it is called bridging?

Basically I have a specific need to connect a mifi to a router and then connect 2 devices to the router via ethernet cables, to share the mifi internet connection... it must be in this configuration (ethernet cables only, not via wifi).

(see picture below)
ZqqGsf0.jpg

Problem is, I have no idea how to go about setting this up. Or what kind of wireless router I would need. For example, would I need one with some specific hardware built in etc?

If anyone can give me some direction I'd greatly appreciate it.

MiFi as link to Internet via 4G cellular.

Router uses MiFi as WAN connection.

So you need a router that has a feature called "WiFi as WAN". Essentially, that sort of router can be given the SSID and password for your MiFi. Then the router, in WiFi as WAN mode, becomes a client of the MiFi WiFi coverage. Simultaneously, the router becomes a router with its own second SSID for another WiFi coverage. And the router's ethernet ports can work.

I have used Cradlepoint's routers for this, such as the MBR95 or the travel routers Cradlepoint has (not their costly machine-to-machine (M2M) routers).

Other vendors sell routers supporting WiFi as WAN.

A better option is to get a WiFi router that supports a plug-in USB cellular modem. I've used Cradlepoint's MBR900 and CBR400 (and others), and the MBR95. When the router isn't needed, you can move the USB modem to a laptop or desktop to access cellular/Internet.

Hope this helps.

eBay sellers have some deals on Cradlepoint gear pulled from service. Cradlepoint sells mostly to businesses, schools, libraries, kiosks where it just has to enable set-and-forget and just work.

Do a google search for "WiFi as WAN". Or elect to buy a WiFi router with a USB port for a cellular modem.

Thanks, I've looked into cradlepoint in the past. But when I asked the company if their mifi device worked with them, they told me no. Whether it is true or not, I don't know... But I can't really afford to buy one and have it not work. If I knew definitely that it would work with a creadlepoint, then I would not be so hesitant.

The mifi device is I guess is what is called a hotspot, and i think only uses usb for charging. Seems like the cradlepoint devices are more geared toward usb mifi devices?

In my searching I've read mention that a router with dd-wrt can possibly accomplish this in something called "repeater mode"... But I don't know much about dd-wrt.

edit: actually after reading a little more, i think "repeater mode" is similar, but slightly different that what I am looking for.

Last edited:
after a little more research, there seems to be some hardware that can turn ethernet into a wifi point.

for example

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GFYHPG/?tag=snbforums-20

and

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005N6XBDO/?tag=snbforums-20

this might be a simpler setup for me than my original idea.

It doesn't really turn Ethernet in to wifi. Those are called bridges and they bridge between distinct media types, ethernet and wifi. Yes, they should be able to accomplish what you are looking for (supposing they have enough ports).

It doesn't really turn Ethernet in to wifi. Those are called bridges and they bridge between distinct media types, ethernet and wifi. Yes, they should be able to accomplish what you are looking for (supposing they have enough ports).

thats a better explanation, especially since I'm not sure exactly on the terminology :p

seems like most only have 1 ethernet port, which would require buying 2... but i did find this Edimax one which has two. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...001-a-edimax-cv-7438ndm-n600-bridges-reviewed
even though I've never heard of that company before, it seems to have a fairly favorable review.

You can either use a 3G/4G router put your sim in it and then share your connection from this router with ethernet cable

if you dont want to remove the sim everytime then buy a router with repeater fonction.

Use your cell as an AP, then use your router to connect to your cell with wifi, and plug the 2 computer with ethernet cable to this router.

I tried this setup and it work fine, i use my 3G router when i'm working deep in the woods since we get 3G almost everywhere in Northern Canada.

I use this router and put my sim card in this 3G usb netowrk card

Last edited:
thats a better explanation, especially since I'm not sure exactly on the terminology :p

seems like most only have 1 ethernet port, which would require buying 2... but i did find this Edimax one which has two. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...001-a-edimax-cv-7438ndm-n600-bridges-reviewed
even though I've never heard of that company before, it seems to have a fairly favorable review.
Use an Ethernet switch to expand the number of ports on a router or bridge. There are many brands. Search newegg.com
This is a good one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=ethernet_switch-_-33-122-005-_-Product

Buffalo has some decent gear in this segment...

Here's a current Dual-Port WiFi to ethernet adapter...

http://www.frys.com/product/6449642

They used to have a 4 port box, dual band A/G/B/N, but seems like they've discontinued it - when I was consulting, I used to keep one in my travel bag for remote office work off-site at the hotel, using it to attach to the hotel wifi and then ethernet over to the WAN port - the two port version above had not been released yet.

They're not as well known as Asus, Linksys, Netgear, etc... but they're pretty big in Japan - good quality stuff..

I'm familiar with buffalo. Actually a little more familiar with them compared to Edimax, which I've never heard of. I did see various 4 port devices from several companies, but 2 ports is actually plenty for my needs.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!