What's new

Need help with network config

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Taylorhe

New Around Here
Hi,

I am looking for advice with my home network setup. I am looking for an efficient way to set up the network so that devices can talk to each other (mostly computers and NAS). Currently router #1 and #2 are set up as different networks. I do have an open VPN setup on router #3 and this is used primarily for media.

Not sure if I should set up router 2 as a bridge or change other configurations.

Any thoughts how I can set this up better?

Here is my current setup

Outside Line connects to router #1 in basement.

Router #1 - SmartRG SR505N (required by DSL provider)
Located in basement so whole house signal is poor
connected with:
- PC #1 (wired)
- Printer (wired)
- VOIP (wired)
- Router #2 (wired)​

Router #2 - Asus RT-AC66U
Located on upper floor
connected with:
- NAS (wired)
- OTR PVR (wired)
- BluRay player (wired)
- router #3 (wired)
- laptop #1 (wireless)
- laptop #2 (wireless)
- laptop #3 (wireless)
- smartphone #1 (wireless)
- smartphone #2 (wireless)
- tablet #1 (wireless)
- tablet #2 (wireless)​

Router #3 - Asus RT-N66U
Located near router #2
Used as OPEN VPN router
connected with:
- Nintendo WiiU (wireless)
- BluRay #2 (wireless)
- Roku (wired)
- Smart TV (wireless)
Router #4 - Linksys E4200 v2 - currently not being used

Last edited:
Wouldn't you want one LAN? One ROUTER, meaning its network role, not name on box.
Improve coverage using WiFi access points (which can be a "router" in AP mode, or reconfigured to BE and AP).

A decent WiFi router can do VPN pass-through as well as normal duties.

Wouldn't you want one LAN? One ROUTER, meaning its network role, not name on box.
Improve coverage using WiFi access points (which can be a "router" in AP mode, or reconfigured to BE and AP).

A decent WiFi router can do VPN pass-through as well as normal duties.

Yes, I would love to get to 1 LAN but my issue is where my connection into the house is and the router being used by my DSL provider. I could put my main router (#2) in AP mode. Not sure what BE and AP together is.

As far as VPN pass through, I am not sure if that can work with what I want it to do. I use it for my media devices for other country content. My knowledge is limited with VPN pass-through.

So.... the DSL provider forces you to use their router? Many people put that in bridge mode (after arguing with the provider). Then their device is no longer a router. Its feed to your router's WAN port makes your router THE router.

OR...
You buy your own DSL *modem*. Give theirs back.
Connect modem to YOUR router.

Thanks for your replies. I can put it in bridge but I have been using theirs for the wired connections. I wonder if I turn off the wireless on that unit and then make my unit an AP with wired on if that would work? If so then what is the best way to incorporate the VPN dedicated router?

About the only changes I would suggest...

1) Put the Router/AP's into AP mode - just one router is enough, and that is your DSL router...
2) Run your VPN client stuff from the desktops, much better performance, and the Asus devices in AP mode pretty much negate the OpenVPN stuff inside..

3) consider once one and two are out of the way, common SSID - put all your 2.4GHz on a single channel to provide a wireless backstop, and the 5GHz on high/low mix

The key thing is to keep it simple, as life is more important that the local area network/Wireless LAN...

About the only changes I would suggest...

2) Run your VPN client stuff from the desktops, much better performance, and the Asus devices in AP mode pretty much negate the OpenVPN stuff inside.

The purpose of the VPN is to have the stand alone media devices (Roku, Bluray, Smart TV) to appear in the US or UK to access Netflix, hulu, MLB, and other sports networks. I am in Canada, so we have limited content with some of those services. Unless there is another way to forward those specifc devices through a port to access the VPN content I will need to maintain the VPN router.

Life is more important than a LAN :)

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!