What's new

Need help with nework planning - Wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A

arik

Not sure if this is ever going to actually happen, but I am supposed to talk to my Apt manager about creating a network across the entire apartment complex. This was brought as they are combining water, gas, and maybe satellite tv, and I want to get rid of Comcast. Anyways...
I am a Network Tech and not really new to networks, just never created one like this, as it wont have a wired back bone, and as I am used to Cisco, DD-WRT can make me feel a little out of place. I do have 2 WRT-54Gs and have played with them in different configurations so I know some of what I can do with them. 2 main things to look at.
1) This is just one of a few ideas I have...
I am been thinking something along these lines,..WDS to connect building and APs off of wired connections to WDS APs... Fully mesh network, needs routing to work over wireless, say IGRP; BPDU-spanning tree... 2 WDS APs in each building to daisy chain them but many building sit next to each other... WDS I would like to be 802.11n using 5Ghz and directional antennas (or not letting them to connect to another and self heal if one breaks). WDS back bone would connect to (possible bottle neck, many WDS connections back?) Management Office to T1 (already have) or T3. APs would be 802.11g.
2) I would like all the APs to be the same make model as I void warranty when installing dd-wrt to make like easier when one breaks.
Much needed ideas/advice... If I can get figure out how to get the channels to be logically placed, do you guys think this would actually work?
Thanks in advanced!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!