What's new

Need help with QoS for gaming.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

element72

Occasional Visitor
I need low latency, and I've been doing a lot of testing after reading toastman's guide and nothing seems to work. I've used Tomato firmware on 2 different routers. Asus RT-N10P and the original linksys WRT54G. I currently use the earlier router. The latency issues occur when I notice a short peak as someone starts a youtube video or opens a new web page (this varies). QoS does a great job for the most part, but to me it doesn't seem 100% perfect in limiting those short peaks. I configured QoS using another guide where I set my own ip as the destination and source as the highest priority. I also unchecked all the prioritize specific small packets + icmp. Toatman's guide says that the right QoS settings is a mixture of incoming and outgoing traffic limits. I messed with them a lot while in-game as people were surfing the net and watching videos. I could not find anything that would work. I think my best and final solution is to buy a separate connection. I also read somewhere on thinkbroadband forums that certain ISP also use QoS on their end, which makes me think that might be contributing to the latency issues I'm getting. I was also told on these forums, if I wanted the latest QoS it would have to be a PC with IPfire installed. I never heard of IPfire, but can someone tell me if that might be a worth option to test out before buying a new-separate internet service?

Edit: I'm thinking of disabling all of the classification presets in QoS. Then putting everything in low priority by default. Except Voip/Game and my ip would be put in the highest priority. Would this be something worth trying?

Last edited:
I would try a faster router. The ones you mention are both pretty slow compared to what you can get today if you can afford $100 or more. Which you'll spend in a couple of months for a second broadband connection.

some routers have auto QoS that are gaming orientated but they rely on profiles/known games. If you want QoS on the gigabit level you'd be looking at a professional router. The CCR1009 can handle multiple gigabit WANs with QoS and firewall but you would need lots of skill, research and dealing with lack of support. Mikrotik has really good QoS but complicated and if you cant understand their QoS tutorials that arent ISP related (meaning you dont limit bandwidths) than your best bet would be auto QoS from a gaming router. Netduma uses mikrotik routers with their firmware and asus routers are usually gaming orientated and both have auto QoS that prioritise games.

some routers have auto QoS that are gaming orientated but they rely on profiles/known games. If you want QoS on the gigabit level you'd be looking at a professional router. The CCR1009 can handle multiple gigabit WANs with QoS and firewall but you would need lots of skill, research and dealing with lack of support. Mikrotik has really good QoS but complicated and if you cant understand their QoS tutorials that arent ISP related (meaning you dont limit bandwidths) than your best bet would be auto QoS from a gaming router. Netduma uses mikrotik routers with their firmware and asus routers are usually gaming orientated and both have auto QoS that prioritise games.
That Netduma router looks very promising. Is the QoS in the software better than tomato for gaming?

ASUS and netduma have auto QoS, but since netduma uses mikrotik it does QoS better since at that price you wont find as many QoS options on other vendors. Configuring mikrotik is complicated but the netduma router makes it easy by giving a consumer router user interface so you dont get to use the router as a configurable one but instead makes a very good consumer router. I think the netduma R1 will work at 100Mb/s if you use QoS and firewall and the features on it because of the CPU. If they have a newer one it might be worth looking at. The guide lists using netduma behind another router as a use but in my opinion if you do get the netduma it should be the router to internet and not behind some other router. The netduma basically has a lot of preconfigured things just like any consumer router but using mikrotik's platform which means stable hardware and auto generating rules that you arent shown.

Essentially ASUS, mikrotik, pfsense, tomato, openwrt will do what you ask but to do what you ask with them takes a lot of skill and knowledge whereas pfsense and netduma have effective QoS for the unskilled while for other consumer routers they can only achieve it using auto QoS only for what they claim for.

If you do get netduma do not use their global filter on p2p based games like GTA 5 or space engineers that use p2p traffic since it will cause problems on servers that have players outside the range and players outside the range wont be able to join your server/session.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!