What's new

need help with some new toys

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

willin2lrn

New Around Here
I did some research (hey, I found this site). I learned about a lot of gadgets I never used. And I found this thread about using a bridge between buildings. I ordered some new stuff. And now that it's sitting here in front of me, I've come to the conclusion I have no idea what I'm doing.

Starting point: 1 desktop computer (running Vista) connected to DSL (Verizon).

More stuff that needs connecting: a Dish satellite network set-top DVR/TV box, a DVD/Blue-Ray player that can connect to NetFlix, 2 laptop computers (1 that will rarely if ever leave the kitchen, the other - mine - moves around)

So far, it's pretty simple -- add a wireless router and hard wire the desktop, the Dish DVR satellite box and the DVD/BR player. The 2 laptops can connect wirelessly.

Here's the wrinkle: We live on a river. My grandparents' house is on the other side of the river (about a quarter mile away, line of sight, no obstructions). And, although they get telephone, there is no DSL and no cable on that side of the river; so, no internet.

In their house, there's another desktop computer and another Dish DVR satellite box. Plus, I'd like my laptop to work there, too.

Here's what I bought: two Netgear WNDR3700 wireless routers and two EnGenius EOC2611P long range outdoor wireless client bridge / access points -- one for each side of the river.

The actual wiring is not too difficult. DSL modem to router's WAN connection. Run ethernet cable from the router's other connections to the desktop computer, the Dish box and the DVD/BR player. Next, run an ethernet cable from the router's remaining connection to one of the bridge gadgets.

On the other side of the river, connect the 2nd bridge to the 2nd router's WAN port. Then connect the desktop and the Dish box to two of the router's other connections with ethernet cables. And my laptop can connect wirelessly whenever I'm there.

But I got no earthly idea how to set all this stuff to make it all work together seamlessly. I know I need to change IP addresses and DHCP and get rid of DHCP on one of the routers, but I'm in way over my head. Any help will be appreciated.

Issue resolved

Issues resolved. Connecting and linking the EOC2611P transceivers as access point and client bridge worked perfectly after I figured out that my laptop's wired ethernet port is always off when running on battery power. The other key to making this all work was NOT using the WAN port on the 2nd WNDR3700 router -- just connecting to one of the LAN ports. I have everything working on the same subnet and can see all devices on the extended network. True, I'm mostly limited to "G" speeds (except in my house with where I can get "N" speeds) but it all works. The EOC2611P transceivers work flawlessly. Now I've got internet where there was none.

Sorry I missed your post the first time around. Thanks for posting back. Odd that your notebook shuts off Ethernet on battery!

If the second WNDR3700 is serving as an access point on the far side, you just need to set it up as described here.

Long Range Wireless Setup

Willin2lrn,

Thanks for posting your long range wireless setup and congrats on your setup success. Can you run some tests on both sides of the river and report your results back to us for each side? I am interested in your EnGenius long range setup and performance and would like to know if the EnGenius boxes hurt your network performance and/or stability.

Here are some good test sites to try:

www.speedtest.net
www.pingtest.net
www.speedtest.vudu.com/cdn1

Thanks!

To: thiggins -- Thanks for the link. I got the tip to avoid the WAN port on another forum but no real explanation of what was going on. My laptop is an HP and it has wireless N that works fine on battery. I guess they figure if you're gonna connect to a wired lan, you can plug in power, too (or maybe there is a way to force it on but I couldn't find it). Doesn't much matter now that I know.

To: Mangusta1969 -- my DSL isn't all that great. Claims 3 megabit but it rarely gets more than 2. I can't tell a significant difference connected by wireless N to the 2nd WNDR3700 thru the two '11P (G) transceivers to the internet from being connected wired to the 1st WNDR3700. I'll post more if I find any problems, but for now, I'm real happy with the results.

BTW, I've got the 2 '11P transceivers indoors sitting in windows on their sides facing each other. My father's golf ball distance finder reports 562 yards. That's actually a little more than 3 tenths of a mile. I have their power setting at -3db from maximum and the distance setting (if it matters) at the minimum 1km.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online