What's new

Need help with TH ethernet ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

howie411

Regular Contributor
Just bought a TH, was built in 2001 and we pre-wired with Cat 5e. This attached picture is what the cable hook looks like in the basement.

I got 3 blue Ethernet cables coming in that some how are related to the phone jacks (ie if I don't plug the 3 in my phone jacks doesn't work (regardless of the phone line in the picture being plugged in).

Then I have multiple black cables coming in, labels as followed, BR1, BR2, BR3, RecRoom, Livingroom and Feed.

I have no clue which cables go in which of these ports.

Now my router is actually upstairs in BR1 and I have a lan cable plugged from the router to the wall and then the cable labeled BR1 plugged into an Wireless AP in the basement, but I would love to get all the ports in the TH working.

Anyone know which I should be plugging in? I see a DATA in and DATA out at the top of this, can I plug BR1 into Data IN and all those Line outs should just work (assuming I plug in all the other cables?

What do I connect the FEED cable to?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Attachments

• IMAG0108.jpg
    IMAG0108.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 645
Can you provide the make/model of the patch panel you show in the picture?

Thanks. I think this is a simple patch panel with the connectors pre-wired in parallel.

That works fine for phone, but not for data. For data, you need a switch to connect the ports into a network.

Buy a switch with enough ports to connect everything you need and plug all the black cables into it and you should be in business.

Thanks, still confused why there are network cables going into the top 2 ports so the phone lines in the house work.

Also is there an easy way to figure out what the line marked "Feed" comes from?

Thanks, still confused why there are network cables going into the top 2 ports so the phone lines in the house work.
My guess is that those are your phone lines from the outside. Don't know why there are two cables.

Also is there an easy way to figure out what the line marked "Feed" comes from?
Nope. No easy way. You would need to buy a signal tracer like the one described here and try every socket in the house.