What's new

Need High Throughput Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So with the Asus RT-AC87U, how is the factory firmware? Is it bad? Is RMerlin supported on it yet?

Your point is well made and I don't want to have a failing network, but I would like to be as forward leaning as possible if its the best option for the next few years. I don't buy networking gear often, so when I do I try to make it good stuff that will last a while.

I have been using DD-WRT for years on Asus and its been great. But like I mentioned to the suggestions to use RMerlin, I am open to what will perform best.

I look at these types of units more for their usefulness as wifi APs than anything else, as that's where most of the innovation exists, at least in my eyes. If you really want to move to high-performance with core routing, switching and packet handling, then you'll be looking at an entirely separate market of wired routers and switches altogether...

That said, stuff like MU-MIMO and 4x4 is practically hypothetical at this point and will remain so probably well into next year due to lack of capability and quality in endpoint hardware. And just like 3x3 N MIMO of the past, the actual embedded devices which support the top end of the feature set may only ever make up a really small percentage, even at full market maturity (2015/16?)... So yeah, you could "future proof" yourself in theory, but, quite frankly, there's a good chance that the bulk of devices you connect may never be compatible enough to take advantage of the performance difference you'd supposedly be paying for... and possibly so for the entire life of the router.

By all means, though, if you've made your decision, drop the $280 and let us know how it works out. :)

So if the 87U presents those issues, are the Asus RT-AC68U or the Netgear R7000 the best option available?

I assume the AC68U has Rmerlin. What's the best OS for the R7000?

Many would say that for all-in-ones, yes, they're great options. Probably two of the best you'll find available.

For firmwares, I lean towards Tomato, once it becomes reputedly stable for a given model, and as best as I can tell it is for both of these models, at least the R7000 (shibby's TomatoUSB builds). I've found Tomato to be more stable than other flavors such as DD-WRT, but your mileage may vary and it entirely depends on what you're looking to accomplish and/or how much instability you're willing to put up with. Personally, if it comes to choosing a firmware with a narrower feature set which works reliably, versus the opposite, then I almost always choose the former.

Last edited:
I finally bought the 68U.

So where is the best place to get the firmware and procedures to get RMerlin setup/running?

Yes, you obviously need a new router Here's a list of things to think about. Since everyone's situation is different, I won't say 'X' is best.

1) The Ubiquiti ER-Lite is an entry level commercial router. No wireless is included so you'll need to add a wireless access point. It's inexpensive but more complicated overall. Said to support very high throughput. I have one on order (used like new amazon) for hobby purposes.

2) I'm also a DD-WRT user. I originally got involved because I needed a client bridge for media and 5GHz use. At this time it's on both my currently active routers. I am finding that the newest versions are somewhat unstable in various ways. BS 24160 is the newest of that line I would consider. I'm downgrading the R6300V1 from 25015-SP1 (Kong) to 24200 today because wireless speeds are unstable on this release. I may put original firmware back on it if the situation doesn't improve. The bridge (a r6300V2) is using DD-WRT 24345M OLDD (Kong) and seems stable. It will continue to use DD-WRT because it supports the best bridge for that router.

3) Amazon is selling a refurb Netgear AC1450 for $70. They can be converted to an R6300V2 easily. It's a good cheap router in this instance, if upgraded. The AC1450 is reported to be unstable firmware. The R6300V2 firmware is said to be as good as any other.

4) I'm a believer in using stock firmware unless you find a need for alternate firmware. I have no experience with Merlin's firmware. I have used Padavan's for other Asus models and think it's great, although the stock firmware did a good job for what I wanted while the router was my main router. Padavan's supported special features I needed at a later time that stock firmware didn't. .81 was very stable. I haven't tried .85.

What size house? Walls attenuate wifi signals a fair amount. Exterior walls attenuate wifi signal significantly. In general, unless the router/AP is sitting in a window or right by an exterior wall, don't expect to get much range or decent performance outside of your house, especially if you have any neighbors who's wifi networks could be in range to interfere.

If you must have good signal outside, you either need an outdoor AP hooked up, stick an AP in a window by the side of the house where you need outdoor coverage, or else you can stick an AP by an exterior wall/in a garage and the run the antennas outside using coax pigtails (which is the setup I have, with AP in garage, with the antennas on 1 meter pigtails run through the wall of my garage and the anntenas sitting under the eves of the roof).

Previously I'd have signal of around -78dBm or so by my kid's outdoor playset about 80ft from the house with my indoor AP. Switching to having an AP in the garage with the anntenas outside, the distance is actually slightly greater as the AP is a bit further away than the one that is inside in my living room (maybe by 10ft or so), but the signal is now -63dBm, which is about 30 times stronger signal (log scale here), despite the increased range, because it doesn't have to pass through an exterior wall. Difference between getting 700-1,000KB/sec on my tablet and getting 4.5MB/sec on my tablet (11n 65Mbps connection ideally for my tablet. Laptop can get about 10MB/sec as ideally it can get a 144Mbps connection to that AP).

OK so I have the new router so I am looking for the Merlin FW. In this thread I saw someone talking about sky111. What is that?

I want to get this Merlin loaded so I can start moving my network over to it.