What's new

Need more Ethernet ports..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

futonpimp

Occasional Visitor
Hi all

So I need additional ports because the stock 4 isn't enough... Is there any harm in buying an additional gig switch and running a connection between it and the wifi router... Is there a performance hit?

Hi all

So I need additional ports because the stock 4 isn't enough... Is there any harm in buying an additional gig switch and running a connection between it and the wifi router... Is there a performance hit?

Nope if your modem/router gigabit already. However, if the switch has QOS, traffic prioritisation, link aggregation, Green switching, jumbo frames etc then it us best connecting everthing to the switch to monitor and get best performace as these features are generally lacking in modem/routers.

All in my opinion ofcourse ;)

Many of us have a WiFi router with 100BT and tie that to a gigE switch. PCs with gigE connect to the switch.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!