What's new

Need router/network suggestions for my new duplex!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Drift Monkey

New Around Here
I moved into a new place and my old roommate took his router with him (Linksys E3000) so I'm in the market for a new router.

My new situation looks like this:

• (1 possibly 2) gigabit desktops
  • (2) dual-band laptops and (1) single-band netbook
  • (2) iPhone 4s and (1) Samsung Galaxy S
  • (1) XBOX 360

I'm likely to keep the router in my room (wired) hooked up to a standard cable modem setup. The place isn't terribly big, but things are somewhat spread out. I figure a dual band solution would work best for the laptops we do use, and possibly power-line adapters for the other desktops/xbox? Not sure how else I might be able to do it in the most efficient/cost effective manner other than a bridge/access point (the xbox wireless-n adapter is pretty pricey). I plan on streaming "HD" Netflix via the xbox, so the bandwidth to it needs to be decent I suppose.

So narrowing down my choices, I figure I need a router that utilized a gigabit switch and dual band. I do realize another E3000 would work, but I figure I'd test the waters on another router since I'll be splitting the new router costs with the roommates. That leaves me with a few choices...another Linksys E3000, Linksys E4200, Netgear WNDR4000, ASUS RT-N56U, and possibly the Belkin F9K1103.

We do game/torrent/stream alot, so something that handles traffic is a must. Three stream will likely never be used anytime soon. Not sure which direction to really head in, they all seem relatively close.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Flames? Trolls? tl;dr?

If the E3000 worked for you, just get another... a refurb if you want to save $.

I see that angle...but why not have the latest and greatest? :D
Because newer products aren't necessarily either. Often they are cost-reduced versions of previous generations.

If you have something that you know works for you, stick with it.

Because newer products aren't necessarily either. Often they are cost-reduced versions of previous generations.

If you have something that you know works for you, stick with it.

Almost anything gigabit/dual-band will "work." The E3000 performed well in my last living situation, but this is a completely new one. There are newer routers with more overall throughput and range...who wouldn't want that? That and there's never a guarantee another E3000 would work as well as the last one did. I'm just exploring options though, thanks for your input.

I'm not trying to be unhelpful. But I've tested an awful lot of routers and they are more alike than they are different when it comes to range.

You can go through the wireless charts and run your own comparisons, of course. Performance in the weaker signal locations D, E, F is a good guide as to range.

Gigabit built in is just a convenience unless you have a > 100 Mbps WAN connection. Uplinking a Gigabit switch lets you save money on the router, expands your choices and keeps the interior cooler. So I'd consider it.

I'm not trying to be unhelpful. But I've tested an awful lot of routers and they are more alike than they are different when it comes to range.

You can go through the wireless charts and run your own comparisons, of course. Performance in the weaker signal locations D, E, F is a good guide as to range.

Gigabit built in is just a convenience unless you have a > 100 Mbps WAN connection. Uplinking a Gigabit switch lets you save money on the router, expands your choices and keeps the interior cooler. So I'd consider it.

You are being helpful. I realize that gigabit built in is just a luxury, but as most of my devices have gigabit cards, I figure, why not?

So the cheapest solution should be at top my list since the cost difference more or less isn't worth it. Whatever is on sale I guess?

Any suggestions for the xbox?

If you don't need dual-band (remember that 5 GHz range is much less than 2.4), you might want to look at the D-Link DHP-1320. Decent wireless performance and gives you built-in powerline.

Then pick up an inexpensive Homeplug AV adapter like the TRENDnet TPL-303E to link in the XBox. Powerline will be more reliable and higher throughput than wireless.

Thanks for the advice...I pulled the trigger on a refurb'd E4200 (plus they had a 10% off coupon) and picked up a wireless N adapter for the xbox off ebay for cheap.

Thanks for reporting back. Hope it works out well for you.