What's new

Need some advice troubleshooting slow Internet - RT-N56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stigs007

Occasional Visitor
Looking for some general advice to troubleshoot internet speed via wireless. Speed tests with my ISP seem fine but I still need to compare with just the modem.

You can start with more details.

What firmware are you running and what are your ISP speeds?

What options other than defaults have you set? What channels are you using? Have you tested each channel to find the one with the highest throughput and lowest latency?

(Btw, forget about using wifi utilities like inssider to choose the best channel, they are useless; simply test each channel and see what works best in your environment).

How far and what obstacles are between the router and the clients?

Where is the router located physically? I would recommend at least 10 feet above ground level with no obstructions like walls, shelves or inside closets or bookshelves for at least 2 or 3 feet in each direction and located as centrally as possible in 3D space of the most used wifi areas of the building it is installed in.

2.4GHz and 5GHz bands are slow vs. anything newer than an RT-N66U or higher (but the RT-N56U with padavan firmware is still great for a bridge though).

You can start with more details.

What firmware are you running and what are your ISP speeds?

What options other than defaults have you set? What channels are you using? Have you tested each channel to find the one with the highest throughput and lowest latency?

(Btw, forget about using wifi utilities like inssider to choose the best channel, they are useless; simply test each channel and see what works best in your environment).

How far and what obstacles are between the router and the clients?

Where is the router located physically? I would recommend at least 10 feet above ground level with no obstructions like walls, shelves or inside closets or bookshelves for at least 2 or 3 feet in each direction and located as centrally as possible in 3D space of the most used wifi areas of the building it is installed in.

2.4GHz and 5GHz bands are slow vs. anything newer than an RT-N66U or higher (but the RT-N56U with padavan firmware is still great for a bridge though).
3.0.0.4.378.4850, just stock firmware from ASUS. Bandwidths are 20/40MHZ with channels set to auto. Armstrong Cable, up to 30MB/s. Placement I now isn't great, 3 story townhouse, it's on the bottom level, but I feel like even when there the speed isn't great. Probably not 3 feet from the wall behind, but there's nothing pulling from that direction.

First priority is changing the physical location, with possibly trying the Padavan firmware to see if it helps range and throughput.

Second is to test each of the channels as suggested. Use 20MHz channel width for the 2.4GHz band. Do not use auto channel or auto bandwidth.

Heavily weighted towards the third option, is to consider a newer router. While still functional, not much more can be done to improve it's performance from what I have experienced with it (I used to have one).

Many users here have reported much improved whole house performance from a single router when they move to an RT-AC68U. Or, an RT-AC3200U if your budget allows you to test both in your environment.

If you want to upgrade only once in the next year to the latest and greatest (expected) router class, then wait for the reviews of the AC2600 Class and AC5300 Class routers to become available soon(ish).

Otherwise, if the above suggestions do not work, the RT-AC56U, RT-AC68U or the RT-AC3200U with RMerlin or the hggomes of RMerlin's firmware will be your best options right now, depending on your budget and expectations.

(PM hggomes for links to his firmware).

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-378-55-3_hgg-final-mod.26524/page-2#post-199549

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!