What's new

Need to replace RT-AC68 which serves as a VPN server for 2 remote AC68

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OOo

Regular Contributor
Is a RT-AC86 a good choice given that it needs to act as the VPN server?

I am a bit hesitant to add a different model ASUS router into the mix. My setup is 2 remote AC68's (one in USA, one in Mexico) that VPN to my now broken AC68 VPN Server (in USA). Setup works great. My setup allows me to share my cable TV to myself by creating a network. But now I need to replace the broken AC68 and while I could just replace the AC68 with a AC68, I thought maybe a bit more processing horsepower of AC86 (VPN Server) would be better. Just concerned that I may introduce an issue but also not sure if I will actually see a performance increase around VPN. I do run Merlin 384.5 firmware across all 3 routers.

Would I see a performance enhancement specifically around VPN server with a AC86 or should I save the money and just replace with a AC68?

Also, any reason to think that running VPN server between 2 remote VPN clients would have caused my Asus 68 server to die on me?

thanks!

86U will be the best asus unit for now and should at least double your VPN speed. Maybe existing 68U will slow down to their max-speed.

It has just been time for one to say good-bye, nothing will last forever ...

Depends on the speed of your connection. An RT-AC68U would be able to provide VPN services without any problem if your connection is only 50 Mbps, for example.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online