What's new

Net/router guru advice needed (5Ghz network)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Susurs

New Around Here
I purchased Netgear WNDR4500 router and wanted to set it up the way that my MacBook Air (2010/Snow Leopard with latest updates) connects to it via 5Ghz network only.
The problem is that when I start up my Air one of the three times a message pops up on my MacBook saying "None of your prefered networks are available"
but below the message it offers to connect to the other found networks and my 5Ghz connection is listed there. If I press it connection starts immediately. Sometimes it connects without a problem.
If I add 2.4Ghz to known networks and MacBook can't connect to the 5Ghz (It's first prefered network in list) it connects to 2.4Ghz. There are no such problems with the other band.
However I'd like have automatic connection to 5Ghz allways not manual.
I tried different settings in router (security modes, no security, speed settings, network card access list, channels etc) but no luck...SSID's are CCC and CCC 5Ghz respectiveley.
Maybe there are some advanced settings in router to solve this or terminal commands in MacBook.

The problem could be due to low/marginal signal level.

Sorry, but I don't have any other ideas. Sounds like a bug related to the Air coming out of sleep/standby.

Wild stab alert:

I've seen this in quite a few setups with Windows 7 coming out of standby. Exactly the same thing. Changing power save mode in the wireless card settings either to off or on (yes, it varies) has fixed it everytime. So maybe you could try that here if there is such an option? (Despite the usual advice for Windows being that disabling power save mode helps problems, I have actually found the opposite in Windows 7, and in fact disabling it has often caused this exact issue).

So I think I solved it (at least somehow)...

I played with advanced airport preferences and set JoinModeFallback to KeepLooking instead of default DoNothing

Command line:
sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport prefs joinmodefallback=keeplooking

Now if at startup Air can't connect to my 5Ghz with first time it attempts a reconnect after some seconds and succeeds.

Now only problem is that I need to find how to set interval between those reconnect attempts (if there is a way to control it) to like 5secs cause it's too long. (Reconnect always happens after like 20sec if not connected with first attempt).

Any ideas? :)

From the other side...if Air will be switched on where there are no networks and I decrease this interval - the battery life will suffer...

Last edited:
By the way...Is it possible to create a script like this: If SSID "CCC" detected initiate a reconnect in 30 seconds ... ? or something like that ...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online