What's new

NETGEAR AC1450/R6300v2 YouTube Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hyelton

I bought a AC1450 and changed the board ID to a R6300V2 and flashed the firmware all works Great! And Streaming Services like Twitch on Wired And Wireless work Great same for other streaming services, EXCEPT YouTube! With YouTube Videos will sometimes not even try to start loading or will only load in 144p or 360p, Its not my ISP I have a 25meg cable connection I can go directly from the modem and the issue is not there.

I have the latest R6300v2 firmware, happens with both QoS on or off I at first thought it was something up with my QoS settings but it seems to not be. Any Ideas? Or is there a more stable R6300v2 firmware than the latest?

Thanks.

I bought a AC1450 and changed the board ID to a R6300V2 and flashed the firmware all works Great! And Streaming Services like Twitch on Wired And Wireless work Great same for other streaming services, EXCEPT YouTube! With YouTube Videos will sometimes not even try to start loading or will only load in 144p or 360p, Its not my ISP I have a 25meg cable connection I can go directly from the modem and the issue is not there.

I have the latest R6300v2 firmware, happens with both QoS on or off I at first thought it was something up with my QoS settings but it seems to not be. Any Ideas? Or is there a more stable R6300v2 firmware than the latest?

Thanks.

I strongly doubt your router has anything to do with the problem if everything else you connect with works ok. That's like saying your front door is defective because a fly is in your house. Download ccleaner, clear all your caches and everything browsers accumulate over time and see if the problem goes away. Or try YouTube with a different browser.

I strongly doubt your router has anything to do with the problem if everything else you connect with works ok. That's like saying your front door is defective because a fly is in your house. Download ccleaner, clear all your caches and everything browsers accumulate over time and see if the problem goes away. Or try YouTube with a different browser.
But did you read that when the computer bypasses the router connected directly to the modem the issue is not there. Its not a browser problem I use Chrome , parents use Firefox and internet explorer all platforms all computers have the issue , even my YouTube player on my HTPC.

router's firewall/NAT not handling the Youtube IP packets. Maybe they're not TCP or UDP.

Save router config to a file on PC using router admin.
Reset router to factory defaults. Try youtube.
restore router config that you saved as above.
Try youtube.

Substitute known good router?

router's firewall/NAT not handling the Youtube IP packets. Maybe they're not TCP or UDP.

Save router config to a file on PC using router admin.
Reset router to factory defaults. Try youtube.
restore router config that you saved as above.
Try youtube.

Substitute known good router?

Factory reset was the first thing ive done several times.

Old D-Link DGL-4500 laying around does not have this issue. BUT the D-Link doesnt like all the devices connected to it as it bogs down 20+ devices.

Hi,
Did it happen too before your firmware change?

Have you tried Google? I did and found many references for YouTube issues. HTML5 appears to be a part of the problem. So were dirty caches. Most problems were observed without regard to the router. Since I'm using the same router and experiencing no problems, perhaps you could refine the search and take a look using a search engine.

I think that you're better off reinstalling than using something like ccleaner. Just my opinion, but if you really need a clean start, just make sure you have a good backup and really clean your system. It takes some time, but you'll be surprised how nice that "new computer feel" is *smile*.

From what you've said about not having the problem connected directly to your modem though, this is a router problem. Have you looked at your router's log? Maybe try dd-wrt or tomato just to see if they behave differently. Dd-wrt has much better logging as well. Netgear stock firmware on my R7000 really has poor logging, which makes it harder to find problems if your router is logging errors.

Also, when you do a factory reset, try youtube making the fewest possible changes to your settings that you can. For example, don't reload a saved settings file, just make the minimal changes to the factory defaults that you can manually, to be able to stream youtube. You can always set your full preferences later, but the less you have between you and factory defaults, the more likely you are to see actual firmware problems.

Which brings up one other thing, have you tried re-flashing the firmware, and then resetting to factory defaults again? Sometimes that can help when something weird like this (that you don't see on other routers at your place) happen.

This kind of thing is frustrating...

I think that you're better off reinstalling than using something like ccleaner. Just my opinion, but if you really need a clean start, just make sure you have a good backup and really clean your system. It takes some time, but you'll be surprised how nice that "new computer feel" is *smile*.

From what you've said about not having the problem connected directly to your modem though, this is a router problem. Have you looked at your router's log? Maybe try dd-wrt or tomato just to see if they behave differently. Dd-wrt has much better logging as well. Netgear stock firmware on my R7000 really has poor logging, which makes it harder to find problems if your router is logging errors.

Also, when you do a factory reset, try youtube making the fewest possible changes to your settings that you can. For example, don't reload a saved settings file, just make the minimal changes to the factory defaults that you can manually, to be able to stream youtube. You can always set your full preferences later, but the less you have between you and factory defaults, the more likely you are to see actual firmware problems.

Which brings up one other thing, have you tried re-flashing the firmware, and then resetting to factory defaults again? Sometimes that can help when something weird like this (that you don't see on other routers at your place) happen.

This kind of thing is frustrating...

My System is pretty much nice and clean :p I installed some new hardware a few months ago, and a few weeks ago I did a clean install.

Also please notice that this is also happen on the other devices as well, I have a around 20ish devices and 8 of them are computers one being Linux and all experiences it.

I have also tried reflashing the firmware twice. Remember I turned the AC1450 into a R6300v2.

Now the one thing I have not tried is trying an older firmware as I have not been recommended one besides the latest.

I used to be the same way.

Then I learned a few new tricks, plus the use of Windows' built in Disk Cleanup utility.

I'll take cleaning a Windows machine over reinstalling any day. For the family and friends I support, it's saved me countless hours over the past couple of years.

The key with system cleaning, much like antivirus, is to have a multi-tiered approach. Don't rely on just one tool.

Many issues can be cleared up if you setup a new system with an Administrator account and then a User account with non-admin rights.

If/when the User account seems broken, you can simply create a new user account and many times, this will feel like a newly installed system with the worst symptoms of the old User account cleared up.

Many issues can be cleared up if you setup a new system with an Administrator account and then a User account with non-admin rights.

If/when the User account seems broken, you can simply create a new user account and many times, this will feel like a newly installed system with the worst symptoms of the old User account cleared up.

This is what makes keeping a Linux system (and even to a certain extent OS X) clean quite easy - a clear partition between the system and the user, including user data.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!