What's new

Netgear Gs105 Dropping Packets

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

turnerm

Occasional Visitor
I think I need a new network switch. I've been chasing down a network gremlin for a few days and I think I've finally found it. But my knowledge of networking is strong enough for me to ensure that I solve the problem the first time.

So... my problem is that I'm trying to stream games from my gaming PC to my Nvidia Shield tablet. It works perfectly as long as I connect my gaming PC directly to my router (Asus RT-AC87U). I have no stuttering and virtually no lag.

The issue is that my gaming PC sits in a room with two other devices; another PC and a NAS. I have gigabit wiring all throughout my house so all rooms are wired back to a closet where my router sits. In this particular room I've installed a Netgear GS105 network switch so that I can connect all three devices to the jack in the wall.

If I try to stream while my computer is connected to the switch I drop packets frequently. Over 12,000 in a 30 minutes span. If I remove the switch and plug the computer directly into the wall. NO packet loss. Well, once I lost 3 packets over a 45 minute period but you get the point.

SO... what switch should I buy? OR, is it just to be expected that any switch would cause similar issues?

I've encountered weird link negotiation issues with Asus routers so here goes.

When you have the switch connected to the Asus router, can you check the switch port LEDs and verify that the link is actually up at 1GbE? On the GS105, the 2 leds above the cable will be lit (blinking for activity).

If the switch is only linked at 10m or 100m, that would likely be the issue. You can try switching the port used on the router (ports 1 and 2 generally give you a better chance).

Thanks for the reply.

The switch is showing full gigabit connectivity. Both leds above the port (above all ports actually) are lit.

I'm running Merlin's firmware on my router and it also shows 1000 full duplex on the port that this switch is connected to.

Should I monitor these leds during my streaming to see if they drop to 100m for some reason?

I wouldn't. I'd try using different ports on the switch and the router just to see if there is any change in behavior.

That said, I'd look at a new switch. This is NOT typical behavior. You may just have a bum switch. Just make sure you've ruled out bad cabling/jacks though first.

I swapped it out with my old Asus RT-AC66R router and the situation is MUCH improved. I'm still seeing some dropped packets but nothing crazy like before.

I would think that having some dropped packets while streaming hidef games across my network via a wireless 5ghz signal is expected.

Further testing last night showed about 100-250 lost packets (on average) for every hour or so of streaming. That seems pretty reasonable to me but I could be wrong?