What's new

Netgear Nighthawk 4xs r7800ac2600

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

littlepaws

Occasional Visitor
Just read that netgear nighthawk 4xs only supports 100mb broadband?

Is this true?

I have virginmedia 150mb, I thought I can but the virginmedia superhub into modem mode and just connect the 4xs?

Does the Qos cause the problem or firmware?

where did you read this nonsense? the x4s fully supports up to 1 Gbps, provided you don't use features that disable hardware acceleration. hell, I have an r7000 and it doesn't break a sweat on my 250 Mbps connection

Great, thought it didnt sound right, it was a video review on youtube.

Glad its not true, thanks for confirming microchip

R7800 doing fine with 240Mbps on 5GHz. here. As do the rest of my routers. I don't think I've seen a router limited to 100Mbps for years now. That's well below the top speed on wireless-n.

Just read that netgear nighthawk 4xs only supports 100mb broadband?

lets put that in context , it doesnt and wont do a 1 gig connection even with all its router and qos features disabled , but nor will any wireless router that is currently available in the domestic market

those that are fortunate to have the 1 gig network speeds over wan have found this out , but thats only if you can get those plans , for most the wan to lan throughput is fine

R7800 doing fine with 240Mbps on 5GHz. here. As do the rest of my routers. I don't think I've seen a router limited to 100Mbps for years now. That's well below the top speed on wireless-n.

Out of curiousity, have you tried any of the AC3150 routers in comparison to the R7800? Or another AC2600 router?

I had the R7800 and liked it but gave it to my son. It worked well in the lower 5GHz channels, which aren't as widely used.

Since then I'm testing out a TP-Link C3150 which is decent - a bit better range it seems, but lower throughput. The firmware on it is a bit flakey. It doesn't have a dedicated AP mode, and won't display connected wireless clients on its map. The GUI is fast, however, a nice change from the slow R7800 (even on a 1.7 GHz processor). I'll probably go back to the R7800 at this point. I know the QCA chips have working MU-MIMO compared to Broadcom but I don't think any of my clients support MU-MIMO at this point. I have a few iPhone 6S and some older Macbooks. Not sure if the new iPhone 7 does or not.

I had an R7000 before the R7800 but my new neighbour put his Rogers Hitron gateway right next to me and took up the entire upper 5GHz band with his 80MHz wide channel. I was very happy with the R7000 and reluctant to give it up.

Yeah, that's why I have my R7800 on channel 44 on 5GHz. My closest neighbor is splat on channel 149 with an 80MHz. channel that's about the same amplitude as my router at the other end of the house in my living room *smile*. On channel 44, the "competition" is down about 30 dBm from the R7800.

I really don't need better range than the R7800 provides, I get my ISP's full download speed on my iPad in the living room (farthest room from the router), what could be better *smile*? And I just don't need more bandwidth. The R7800 is better than both the WRT1900AC and the R7000 on the upper 5GHz. channels, and way better than them on the lower 5GHz. channels. So it's just about perfect for me at this point. Serves my needs. I got it on sale, too, so I'm a happy camper for the time being.

Yeah, that's why I have my R7800 on channel 44 on 5GHz. My closest neighbor is splat on channel 149 with an 80MHz. channel that's about the same amplitude as my router at the other end of the house in my living room *smile*. On channel 44, the "competition" is down about 30 dBm from the R7800.

I really don't need better range than the R7800 provides, I get my ISP's full download speed on my iPad in the living room (farthest room from the router), what could be better *smile*? And I just don't need more bandwidth. The R7800 is better than both the WRT1900AC and the R7000 on the upper 5GHz. channels, and way better than them on the lower 5GHz. channels. So it's just about perfect for me at this point. Serves my needs. I got it on sale, too, so I'm a happy camper for the time being.

RogerSC, I've noticed in various posts that you have tried many differrent firmwares on your R7000. I've only used stock. I just want to make 100% sure that if I install Vortex's XWRT on it that I can go back to full native stock firmware afterwards by applying R7000-V1.0.3.80_1.1.38.trx. And I can then update the R7000 from that to any of the newer stock Netgear firmwares for the R7000? I am not planning on modifying the CFE.

I may try this to see if I can coax more power out of the lower 5GHz channels by changing regions. Not sure if that will work or not.

RogerSC, I've noticed in various posts that you have tried many differrent firmwares on your R7000. I've only used stock. I just want to make 100% sure that if I install Vortex's XWRT on it that I can go back to full native stock firmware afterwards by applying R7000-V1.0.3.80_1.1.38.trx. And I can then update the R7000 from that to any of the newer stock Netgear firmwares for the R7000? I am not planning on modifying the CFE.

I may try this to see if I can coax more power out of the lower 5GHz channels by changing regions. Not sure if that will work or not.

Yes, you can do that, the "back to stock" image that XVortex supplies has worked for me several times *smile*. I'm not using the R7000 at the moment, but as you mention, I've used several different third-party firmware versions on it. And switched back and forth between them as new versions came out. Have not had a problem moving between them, although the only times that I've gone back to stock firmware for a long time now have been to go between XVortex and Tomato, or to do a quick test with stock firmware. But going back and forth works perfectly, as long as one is careful to follow the directions given exactly *smile*.

And now back to your regular programming, discussing the R7800. Sorry.

Ok setup the r7800 4xs.

5g is really good both range and distance even through walls.

Strange 2.4gz at a distance the ssid dosent show up. But if you manually put in the settings the signal is good. So even if you dont see the ssid set it up anyway and it works perfectly. Not sure why the ssid dose not show tho?

Port forwarding and netgear ddns working well.

Switched off the led' with switch at back but the power led is still lit??

Also what are the led colours for lan in terms of speed?

What channel dbm should i be getting?

Also windows 10 laptop after sleep mode dosent reconnect, have to re-booted. Never had this problem on old router?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!