What's new

Netgear Nighthawk R7000 5GHz hissing noise

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yahzee

New Around Here
I know there were a few threads regarding this issue, but its been some time and it seems like no one (including Netgear themsleves) seems to know if the hissing noise is actually normal or not.

For anyone who doesn't know about it, the Netgear Nighthawk router will make a hissing/fizzing noise when under load transmitting on the 5GHz band. This noise is not audible on the 2.4GHz band. I've contacted Netgear through phone/chat/email and each one has said different things, one rep said it was normal, the other said it was not normal, so now I'm just :confused:

I've also read online about people who don't have any noises with their Nighthawk router, and those that do.

Just wanted to get some more opinions/input if anyone else is having the same issue.

Maybe you can start a poll and determine if its normal or not. I have 5ghz running on 3 devices and it does not making any hissing sounds. I sit right next to my router so I would know if it did.

If it works as intended then don't worry about it. Otherwise RMA it but, there is no guarantee you won't hear the same hissing.

Many PC components make a buzzing or hissing sound under load. As load increases, so does an electrical current, thus you hear the noise.

At the end of the day why others don't hear it;

a) ear sensitivity difference from person to person.
b) different brand components used from different manufacturer.

Last edited:
So I ended up doing an exchange, and the noise is still present. This time however, the noise is there on both bands 2.4GHz and 5GHz, I suspect this may have something to do with the stock firmware (I was using DD-WRT Kong build for my previous one and could only hear any noise on the 5GHz).
Also because I changed the TX power for each band in the dd-wrt custom firmware, whereas in the stock firmware you cannot change this setting, so perhaps in stock the TX power is at a higher level or even at max which may be causing the noise.

I guess it is what it is, I know people that have bought the nighthawk last year around November or so do not have this issue (and no, if you are close enough to it, anyone can hear the noise, its a sizzling noise, not really a "high-pitched" sound per say), so evidently something has changed in their manufacturing since then. It's a shame because the router works perfectly, but if anyone has the router near their computer/workstation, it is definitely noticeable and is kind of a nuisance for a product that you are buying at a premium.

There have been reports of this on the Netgear forums for several months, dating back to last year. Netgear representatives have stated previously that it's "normal" and nothing to worry about.

I had the R7000 have this issue, but ended up returning it due to the crappy firmware available at the time (this was a week after the unit's release).

The same issue is a concern for Netgear on R8000 units as well. Some users during testing experienced the "noise issue" as well, but were told to report it, but also told by engineers to ignore it as it "can be a normal thing."

I got one from walmart to test and it made that sound. I returned it

I know there were a few threads regarding this issue, but its been some time and it seems like no one (including Netgear themsleves) seems to know if the hissing noise is actually normal or not.

Nothing to worry about for stability and long term usage - it's a little annoying if it's close by - e.g. sitting on your office desk as you're working.

The noise is being generated by the DC switching power supply on the mainboard that provides the various DC internal voltages for the chipsets and power amplifiers...

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!