What's new

RT-BE86U details from ASUS rep at Computex Taipei (POSSIBLE NEWS SCOOP)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AX86U Pro launched on Amazon Germany towards the end of 2022 for €300 and 1 year later you could find it on deal for €186. Now, 2 years later the normal price is €189, but I saw it go down to €170 on some stores.
Be mindful Amazon played a trick here. I got the €186 from Amazon, but when I tried to registered with Asus they said no. Amazon bought these devices without factory warranty/support - all warranty claims must go through Amazon.
You also do not get the extended 1 year factory warranty.

While I kind of get this, you can be out of luck if your device breaks down or has some other issue.

Up for preorder in the UK at overclockers for a fairly eye-watering £300. Curious to see what everywhere else lists it at.

RT-BE86U is now posted on ASUS' global website.

Dual-band
2.4GHz 3x3 + 5GHz 4x4
1 x 10GbE WAN + 4 x 2.5GbE LAN

Last edited:
BE86U has 1GB RAM, so they dropped down to the half of the 2GB BE98/96/88U models. Not sure its needed now for most regular users, but its a bit disappointing, as I don't like the physical size of the 88U and hoped the BE86U could be a better alternative. They're dropping the 6GHz band and half the RAM, it seems this *86 model is more cut down compared to the top of the line models for the BE generation compared to the AC and AX generations.

Going by the frequency of the SoC, that one seems to be the same as the others though.

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty disappointing for a WiFi 7 device to not have the 6GHz band, unexpected for 86U class. It now looks like a low end device, but with a high price tag.
At around €350 in EU, this makes AX86U Pro seem a good deal since you can find new at half the price. I'm also not interested in more higher end models as I need a router that doesn't take a lot of space on the desk.
Maybe it's time to start looking at other brands.

Last edited:

ASUS Unveils Cutting-Edge WiFi 7 Devices During Gamescom 2024

ROG Rapture GT-BE19000, ASUS RT-BE86U and ROG USB-BE92 elevate the online and cloud gaming experience​

• ROG Rapture GT-BE19000 delivers tri-band WiFi 7 speeds of up to 19 Gbps and wired capacity of up to 31 Gbps, with dual 10G and four 2.5G Ethernet ports
  • ASUS RT-BE86U dual-band router offers WiFi 7 up to 6800 Mbps, with 10G WAN port, four 2.5G LAN ports and USB port for 4G LTE & 5G tethering
  • ROG USB-BE92 USB WiFi 7 adapter enables speeds of up to 6500 Mbps, with plug-and-play USB Type-A and USB 3.2 Gen 1x1 Type-C®
  • ASUS and Intel® collaborate at Gamescom 2024 booth to showcase high-performance WiFi 7
"Asus didn’t announce any release dates or prices for these devices." 😁

ROG Rapture GT-BE19000

GT-BE19000_F.png

ASUS RT-BE86U

RT-BE86U_1.png

ROG USB-BE92

ASUS%20RSB-BE92%20-%2003.jpg

Yeah, pretty disappointing for a WiFi 7 device to not have the 6GHz band, unexpected for 86U class. It now looks like a low end device, but with a high price tag.
At around €350 in EU, this makes AX86U Pro seem a good deal since you can find new at half the price. I'm also not interested in more higher end models as I need a router that doesn't take a lot of space on the desk.
Yeah, if my AX86U suddenly died, I'd probably just look at a pro instead as a replacement, not this. Just doesn't seem like good value at all unless the 2.5Gb ports are useful.
It's the perfect form factor for me, but not at that price and without true wi-fi 7.

This router is 100% dead on arrival at that price point. They have to be planning to release it at a lower price point. The 88U actually outclasses it at $350. So it makes zero sense. Honestly anything above $250 is just nonsense pricing. Not that I would buy it even at that price point nor would I ever buy an 88U at $350. Asus really trying to tell their customers they think they're idiots with these products.

I'm wanting a RT-BE92U. That seems like the AX86U replacement to me.
I see nothing in the US ASUS site about it though.

BE92U uses an older SoC, and is only 2x2 on 5GHz and 6GHz. But yeah at least it has 6GHz, depending on what you prioritize.

BE86U has 1GB RAM, so they dropped down to the half of the 2GB BE98/96/88U models. Not sure its needed now for most regular users, but its a bit disappointing, as I don't like the physical size of the 88U and hoped the BE86U could be a better alternative. They're dropping the 6GHz band and half the RAM, it seems this *86 model is more cut down compared to the top of the line models for the BE generation compared to the AC and AX generations.

Going by the frequency of the SoC, that one seems to be the same as the others though.
Why don't we say who cares if they went with less ram as long as it pushes out what they claim it can do????

I suspect the reason they skipped 6 GHz here is because they kept the design with the detachable antennas - which may be a benefit to some people, if they want to use higher-gain antennas. I hope they release a Pro version with dual 10G ports.

All countries in grey have no 6GHz band available:

1726471257811.png

Currently >50% of world's population can't use 6GHz.

Also, adding 6 GHz increases costs. If you want to see cheaper Wifi 7 models, then that price cut has to come from somewhere - removing the third radio is a big part of it.

If you want 6 GHz, get the RT-BE96U.

My expectations - many people will buy dual-band Wi-Fi 7 home routers even in countries with 6GHz band available. The reasons - lower cost, newer hardware, extended firmware support, preserved range, smaller physical size. Offering such models worldwide is a winning strategy.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!